Lucas Arts Encrypted videos...

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Leonhart
Org Profile

Lucas Arts Encrypted videos...

Post by Leonhart » Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:05 am

What i need is to extract the videos from Lucas Arts awarded adventure game Grim Fandango for my next music video. They must be encrypted for rip protection in a wierd .Lab encryption. I tried to find a .Lab converter but i was continually finding erelevant stuff. The fmv extractor or "gap" extractor i used didn't help. But i am sure the videos must be mpeg# encoded , but still encrypted. If anyone can help me on this i would be grateful! :roll:

Coderjo
Org Profile

Post by Coderjo » Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:55 am

While I don't have any methods to help you, I do have a question:

What makes you think the FMV sequences are MPEG? Most games use some other formats. Quake 2 and 3 cinematics are not in mpeg, but a different format called RoQ. ".Lab" probably stands for something like "LucasArts Binary" or "LucasArts Bundle" or some such.

All I can give you is a good luck wish, as ripping those sequences will probably not be easy. But you have to remember: if it can be played back, it can be ripped.

Leonhart
Org Profile

Post by Leonhart » Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:25 am

Thank you very much for your concern. The reason i believe the encoding is in mpeg is because i remember an article, when the game was released, that said about making mpeg the videos for better quality. Those days, even mpeg1 was a good compression method. I remember that from a magazine. These sequences can be viewed when you finish the game, though. There must be a way to get this vids from cd cause i found the vids for download and they r 771mb all. I can't download all these with my 56kpstn but i saw two files inside the rar file , i downloaded just 5megs actually. The one was grima.bin and the other grima.cue, if this might be of any help. Thanks again! If you have any questions you can email me at leonhar1@otenet.gr .

Coderjo
Org Profile

Post by Coderjo » Sun Jun 30, 2002 9:31 am

Now, if I could get my hands on that game, I might be able to help you.

Again, good luck in your search.

Mechaman
Org Profile

Post by Mechaman » Sun Jun 30, 2002 1:35 pm

The one was grima.bin and the other grima.cue, if this might be of any help.
...actually, that sounds more like a warez copy.
A "*.cue" file is a cuesheet for CD-burning programs, and the "bin" is the CD data itself.
The fact that they were the only two inside a RAR file also looks suspicious.

Waldo
Org Profile

Post by Waldo » Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:34 pm

I'm not sure if they were pre-rendered or not but you could try borrowing someone's video card that has a TV-out feature and record the sequences to a VCR then capture them back. You will loose some quality on the Digital-Analog-Digital conversion but it beats having nothing.

Leonhart
Org Profile

Post by Leonhart » Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:59 pm

There must be easier way... i think. I can do that with a digital cam too but i think there must be a way to rip the videos off the cd :roll:

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”