Losing Weight So far so good (any tips)

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Re: Losing Weight So far so good (any tips)

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:44 am

It's been a while since I've updated this. I've stayed on my diet and exercise, and since the beginning of it I have lost 19 lbs. I am now down to 162. So I'm not too far from 155. Which would be a very good weight for me. At least close to what a lot of the sites say that a person of my height should be weighing.
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

The_McLaughlin
Org Profile

Post by The_McLaughlin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:11 am

Keep going at it you're doing great. I need to start trying to drop weight again. I had done kind of a similar thing back in college, I went from 272lbs down to 180lbs. I kept that for about a year, and then unfortunately I started having more work to do in school, was working 2 jobs (three if you count the web series class I took and they basically had us work like it was our job for free... they fed us food though, but it was mostly pizza which isn't very healthy for you), and developed tendonitis in both knees most likely from my workout (which was P90X and INSANITY at the same time both have a lot of jumping and one of the things that causes tendonitis is high impact moves and jumping moves) and as a result I'm back up to 230lbs, but I'm maintaining there and have been for about a year now. Every time I seem to start losing weight though my tendonitis flares up and it hurts to do anything physical... and I think I've kind of plateaued at 230 with just diet alone.
I'm rooting for you though, and you've kind of inspired me to try some new things out and see if I can't at least get back under 200lbs again. I probably should really be closer to 160lbs or 170lbs but really if I could get back into the 100lb range again even if it's the high 100lb range and maintain that I'd be pretty happy.

Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Org Profile

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:54 pm

I used to be able to run 5 miles in the woods and actually feel pretty good afterwards. But those were my college days. Now...well, that's why I'm doing the following:

MyFitnessPal is pretty great for tracking calories. Give it some basic starting info, set a goal, and it will tell you what to stay under each day. Plus the database is rather sizeable, and also lets you scan barcodes. For your own stuff, you can input receipes as well.

To that, I linked my RunKeeper account, so it automatically accounts for my workouts and adjusts the daily totals accordingly. And if I update my weight in one, it's reflected in the other. Whenever I run, my phone comes with me. Currently I'm at week 3 on the Couch to 5K bit.

Also linked to RunKeeper is a Fitocracy account, which is basically levelling up by working out. Always log your workouts for that sweet XP, lol.

On the non-technology side of things, some decent vitamins will help make up for what you might not get from eating.

I've only been really sticking to MFP for the past week, but I've dropped 3lbs in that time. A bit faster than is recommended, but that's also due to the initial rapid drop people get anyway, plus switching to drinking nothing but water. It'll even out here in a couple weeks, so I'm not too worried. 3lbs down, 47 to go, and a planned half-marathon at the end of April.

Hey mods, hatabout an AMV Fitness forum?
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:17 pm

I could see it now. It would consist of DDR AMV's.

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into them.

Gene

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:57 am

Bigger deal than people think: Cut out all soda from your diet. Stick to water or like, gatorade. Goes a long way to help.

Also, instead of eating 3 big meals, maybe break them up into smaller snacks throughout the day so you dont eat as much.

Besides that, exorcise. Cardio is great for weight loss, will strengthen your legs, give you more stamina, and is good for the lungs.

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:20 pm

Currently I'm down to 158 now. Pretty happy with the ways things are going. I'm able to start exercising again after taking it easy with my back for the past 3 weeks. I threw it out earlier this month while bowling.

Tono_Fyr
Org Profile

Post by Tono_Fyr » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:05 am

Over the past year and a half or so (started may 2013), I have been running. I went from 330 to about 280 just doing that. I dropped to 255 after I mostly quit fast food (only on road trips do I allow myself to indulge it much) and started doing upper body work outs. I'm up to 265, last I weighed, but I'm pretty sure the extra 10 was in muscle, as I've been increasing my curling weight. I'm up to 45 pounds now, and I honestly need to go get a 55, as the 45 has gotten to easy.

I'm still not down to the 230 I wanted to get to (which is the top end of "healthy" for 6'4") but eh, I feel awesome, so I suppose I can't complain much.

As far as tips go, I suppose, drink a lot of water, run a lot, and avoid fast/fried foods as much as possible.

Neverend
The cockpuncher
Org Profile

Post by Neverend » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:44 pm

Go check how many calories you burn in an average day, eat 500 less each day.
By doing so you can loose up to 1kg(2pounds) each weak, more or less.
I Shouldn't talk though, I have no idea about the mental struggle.

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:51 pm

I've been pretty thin all of my life. I watch the amount of crap I put in and try to balance it with something good.

I was eating Muffins for a week and felt myself getting a little wider so I stopped.

You should never drastically change your diet just find healthy replacements for things like TV and movie snacks. Vegetables, home made Pita Chips and Salsa.

Always indulge occasionally as you may go crazy :D

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:13 pm

Despite having thrown out my diet this past weekend I've lost 5 lbs since last week. I've made a few drastic dietary changes over the last month, cutting out as much sugar as I can from my diet due to the potential of having diabetes. It's been a tough month for me and I felt pretty bad for a few weeks but I'm feeling more normal now and possibly even better then I did (I know I had a lot more energy while at AWA then I've had in a while) before I made the switch. Due to all of this tho I haven't been swimming cuz' it's such an intense work out but instead I've been walking more. I'm going to try to start swimming again next week once I'm sure the ear infection I've had is gone.

This month will be difficult, and well, the next few months being the holiday season will be difficult for me sticking to my guns and keeping the diet and exercise going. Wishing myself and everyone else luck.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “General Discussion”