Compressing video to MPEG2 with TMPGenc?

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Creative Name
Org Profile

Compressing video to MPEG2 with TMPGenc?

Post by Creative Name » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:32 pm

I've been able to work this when submitting my first batch of AMVs (thank you org for your awesome tutorials all the way through), but now I can't use TMPGenc because of the mpg2 expiration. But I don't want to make mpg2s, but it won't let me make mpg1s either :P Plus, now I no longer have access to the otaku conversion for conventions feature.

I noticed that in the guide to all things audio and video everything has strikethrough as well. Did I miss something? Should I even be talking about this? Any suggestions? I haven't tried much, but I figured there may be more to the story than I know.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Compressing video to MPEG2 with TMPGenc?

Post by mirkosp » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:37 am

By otaku conversion for conventions feature do you mean this? It's still there for me. o.o
Also, the avtech guide you're referring to seems to seems to be the 2.1, it has been updated to 3.0 a while ago, so I suggest you to follow the new guide now. You can find it here. It also has a new amvapp with some of the programs changed.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:01 am

mirkosp wrote:By otaku conversion for conventions feature do you mean this? It's still there for me. o.o
I think s/he's talking about this (meant "Otaku Video").
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:51 am

Also, there's no reason it shouldn't let you encode MPEG-1. The trial only applies for MPEG-2 (and besides that, you can do MPEG-2 encoding with HCenc for free, just in case you do need to convert to MPEG-2, as for DVD).

If MPEG-1 absolutely doesn't work for you with TMPGEnc, you can use ffmpeg to encode it. I'm not up on the right frontends for it for that, though. I think AviDemux can use libavcodec to output to MPEG-1, but again, I've never done that; I still use TMPGEnc for MPEG-1.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:57 pm

Wait. You DID get TMPGEnc 2.525 (this) and NOT TMPGEnc 2.5 Plus (this), correct?

Because I remember now that the Plus version won't let you use it at all after 14 days unless you pay for it, whereas the original version won't let you do MPEG-2s after 30 days but still works fine for MPEG-1s.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Creative Name
Org Profile

Post by Creative Name » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:29 pm

Hey thanks for the replies! You are all so smart :)

I got it to do what I wanted it to do.

I guess the next con season I am up a creek if the required format is mpeg2?

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:45 am

Use MPEG4-AVC and tell them it said "MPEG" so you thought it was what they wanted. Be really clever and burn it to a DVD as a BD and it might even work.

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”