The XVID Xpiration date

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Yogurtron
Org Profile

The XVID Xpiration date

Post by Yogurtron » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:44 pm

Well, i'm having some fun time with the XVID codec here. I'm trying to follow ermacs guide to compressing with it, and i can do so for the first pass, and sometimes the second, but after i encode a few times with it (various attempts or on other projects), it starts throwing out weird stuff, like this:
I'm not sure why, it does that... the first time it did it, it seemed to be right after i upgraded directX (yeah... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... but oh well, i did, and learned my lesson the hard way). Then i used the windows restoration thing, reloaded it to about a day before the upgrade (the system files of the time, that is), and it seemed okay afterwards.

But last night, when i was encoding, it did this. I don't know why, is there an inherant problem with the XVID codec that'll do this?

By the way, this happens only in media player, and sometimes in premiere. TMPEG and VirtualDub show it just fine, and premiere shows it like the error when it first reads it, but if i tell it to capture the frame, it captures what the frame SHOULD have been (the actual video stream).

ANyway, any help on fixing this wonderful problem, and keeping it fixed, would be much appreciate.

Arrigatou.

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:33 pm

That looks like corrupted screen memory.

I think you need to reinstall your display drivers, and take a good long look at the settings for DirectX, direct 3D, etc.

the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Post by the Black Monarch » Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:05 pm

I had the same issue on one of the computers I tested XviD on. That computer, as well as all the others that I used, had no such issues with DivX. That's one of the reasons why I prefer DivX over XviD - but then again, maybe I'm just biased because DivX actually works on my computer.
Ask me about my secret stash of videos that can't be found anywhere anymore.

Yogurtron
Org Profile

Post by Yogurtron » Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:11 pm

What settings should i look at in directX to determine problems of this sort? And one reason I'm using the DIVX flagged XVID is because when xvid WAS working, it looked beter than when i tried DIVX5 at a rather low compression setting (leading to about the same datasize of about 40mb or so).

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:26 pm

Yogurtron wrote:What settings should i look at in directX to determine problems of this sort? And one reason I'm using the DIVX flagged XVID is because when xvid WAS working, it looked beter than when i tried DIVX5 at a rather low compression setting (leading to about the same datasize of about 40mb or so).
I dont understand why XviD is so great, I mean, when i do my compressions with it, it comes out looking really sharp and over-crisp,like an edge enhance filter has been run over it a few times. Needless to say, this sucks, becaue it looks like shit. DivX always compresses better for me, but I guess it does come down to personal preference.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:33 pm

XviD is $FREE$ and if you know how to use it, it looks better than DivX.

DivX is either $30 or spyware supported. Unless you want to do things illegally. But removing the banner and the spyware is a pain. Why deal with it when you have XviD for free, no hassles.

~klinky

Yogurtron
Org Profile

Post by Yogurtron » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:38 am

So does anybody have a guess as to what I could do to fix the problems with my XVID codec routinely corrupting... itself.. or whatever makes my video files look like the pic at the top of the page when shown by Media player or any NON-editting program? What should I look for in my directX and display settings? etc.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:43 am

Try installing FFDShow and see if that helps.

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:19 pm

First up did you reinstall your video drivers? If you restored a configuration then there is no way to guarantee the state of the DLLs and the registry settings for them. It might also be worth reinstalling the XviD drivers.

I also agree with Zarxrax, FFDShow is worth installing too.

If you are still having problems then try adjusting the following:

Disable write combining and hardware acceleration (Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot), then if that is OK slowly ramp up it back up to full. If all is OK then re-enable write combining.

In the CPU tab of the XVID codec you might also try turning off all optimisations - you will have to select "Force optimisations" before you can turn them off.

Yogurtron
Org Profile

Post by Yogurtron » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:32 pm

Thank you very much everybody. I installed FFDShow, and it works perfectly.

This leads me to a question though, if I had problem with my XVID videos, along with my XVID files flagged as DIVX5, would this mean others might have problems with my DIVX5/XVID files, as far as compatibility. Should I stick to encoding in old MPEG1?

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”