MP4 in Zarx?

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Artystic
Org Profile

MP4 in Zarx?

Post by Artystic » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:31 pm

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find anything using the Search...

I'll start off by saying I'm a total n00b at this so if there's an obvious solution please don't be abusive ^^"

So basically, I downloaded the newest version of Zarx and tried choosing several MP4 files as the "Input Video" but each time it says:

DirectShowSource: Could not open as Video or Audio.
bla bla [File Location]:
Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported.

I know for definite the file is supported, as I used the same render settings in Vegas as my friends...

Any help is appreciated. :)

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Re: MP4 in Zarx?

Post by Enigma » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:40 pm

Something i did not get from what u just said, Is your exported video an .AVI or .MP4? And make sure u installed AVIsynth

Haeresis
Org Profile

Post by Haeresis » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:55 pm

If I read your post correctly then the problem is that you dont put mp4s in Zarx, you put Avisynth files into Zarx and it exports it as a higher quality mp4 file. Which is why you are getting the message “Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported”.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:37 am

1) If you don't have AviSynth 2.58 installed yet, install it and try again (although with it actually giving you a warning about DirectShowSource, I assume it is installed).

2) DirectShowSource works by using, obviously, DirectShow's decoding filters. If you don't have Haali's Media Splitter, an H.264* decoder (ffdshow or CoreAVC, take your pick - preferably I'd go with ffdshow, but now that CoreAVC 2.0 is out the weightp 2 issue shouldn't be a problem anymore), and an MP3, AAC, or AC3 decoder, then it can't do squat. You probably can't play back said MP4 files in Windows Media Player either, because WMP uses DirectShow (maybe Media Player Classic as well, although it has some internal splitters and decoders it uses).

*I'm assuming H.264 simply because of prevalence; it's totally possible to use MPEG-4 ASP (i.e. Xvid) in MP4, and that possibility was around long before H.264 came onto the scene.

So, to answer #2, install Haali's Media Splitter (not linked to the main site only because it's down right now), and ffdshow (I go with clsid's generic builds, but feel free to choose a different one if you want), and try again.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:16 am

I think the big question here is, WHY are you recompressing an MP4 file?
If you exported out of vegas an an mp4, and then you compress it to mp4 again, you are going through 2 stages of lossy compression, which will hurt the quality of your video.
You should export an uncompressed video out of Vegas.

Overture
Org Profile

Post by Overture » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:50 am

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech3/

im sure u must have read this but just skipped almost....well alot of stuff. but ill just thro it out there just in case. read it all and read it again. do ya some goodXD :up:

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”