Capture Card (Game Footage)

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
-Reda-
Org Profile

Capture Card (Game Footage)

Post by -Reda- » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:34 pm

Forgive my ignorance on the topic, but I was wondering if someone could fill me in on something.

Recently I've been liking the idea more and more of working with video game footage. Are there any quality differences if I use a Capture Card as opposed to ripping directly from the disk?

Would using a Capture Card result in higher quality in any way?

If this is a stupid question forgive me, like I said, kind of new to this type of source ^^;
*sips tea*

MaggIvy
Org Profile

Post by MaggIvy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:23 pm

Nothing is better than ripping it straight from the disc.

Unfortunately there are going to be times where you can't rip from the disc and will have to use a capture card or some kind of capture source to record your desired scenes/gameplay/etc.

So no, capture card isn't better than ripping from the disc.

This is just my opinion though.

sayde
Org Profile

Re: Capture Card (Game Footage)

Post by sayde » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:45 am

-Reda- wrote: Would using a Capture Card result in higher quality in any way?
The answer is for all intents and purposes, no.
MaggIvy wrote:This is just my opinion though.
It's a good opinion though considering how many regard it more so as a fact.

The thread below this has a few lengthy posts that help explain why.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=89834

One a side-note, there's only one exception I've ever come across where capturing the footage *might've* actually looked better than ripping it from the dvd -- Xenosaga 3. Honestly, the ripped footage itself looked absolutely horrible. It's the one and only example I've seen where the footage looked a lot better on my television than on my PC. It practically defied all logic.

Supposedly televisions auto-filter things to a certain degree, so it masked a lot of the footage's flaws (graininess, mosquito noise, etc.). At least, that's the explanation I was told. I'm still wonder if that's the correction explanation though.

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”