Ripping???

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
Vanity
Org Profile

Ripping???

Post by Vanity » Thu May 07, 2009 1:04 am

Hey guys i wanted to ask a question :sweat: .....im just curious about this........If I Image burn a Iso file to a dvd and when i open the dvd in dvd decypter...would the vobs. be ripped or a iso>>??

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Re: Ripping???

Post by Qyot27 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:08 am

Depends. Did you burn the ISO as data, or did you let the burning app actually do the interpreting?

Case in point:
I archive the ISO images for my Ubuntu install discs. But the only way to actually *make* one such install disc is to give ImgBurn the image and say, 'use this to create the disc' (i.e. Write mode), rather than 'put this on the disc' (Build mode). Using Write mode, I get a fully-functional install disc. Using Build mode, the only way the ISO is effective as an install disc is if I want to install it in a virtual machine, under VirtualBox for example.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Vanity
Org Profile

Post by Vanity » Thu May 07, 2009 1:16 am

Im going to say as data.. :sweat: It's write able if thats what you're asking

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu May 07, 2009 5:54 am

Zenkia wrote:Im going to say as data.. :sweat: It's write able if thats what you're asking
You did say "image burn" though, which I think is what Qyot27 meant with his second option.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Thu May 07, 2009 1:32 pm

You can actually use DVD Decrypter to burn the ISO to the disc, making it a playable disc (i.e. it will play normally in a DVD player).

And of course you can rip VOBs and such off of the disc as well.
... yea ...

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu May 07, 2009 3:31 pm

What I meant is how you give the ISO to the burning program (I used ImgBurn as an example, but Nero, DiscJuggler, etc. are all capable as well) determines what can be done afterward. To be overly simple about it, ISO images are CDs/DVDs, in an encapsulated data form. Same goes for NRG files, or CDI files, etc.

Most of those apps have a wizard that walks you through the process of creating/burning a disc. If you open it up and choose to make a Data disk, and then drag the ISO file over, then you're just archiving the ISO, not creating a disc from it. Some software may alert you of this and ask if you really want to burn it as data rather than properly using it as the template it really is, but I wouldn't bet on that option being there 100% of the time. Namely because there are uses to burning them as pure data (I gave the example of my Ubuntu install discs - if I didn't archive the ISO, then every time I wanted a new copy of the disc I'd either have to do a disc copy of the one I already burned, or re-download the image, neither one is convenient, whether for time reasons or because it could potentially cause more disc wear).

The short explanation: if you burn the disc as data (like Build mode in ImgBurn), then when you pop the DVD into the drive, you will see the ISO, not the files inside of it (even if you might be able to see the files inside of it using WinRAR or UltraISO or something). If you use the ISO to create the DVD (Write mode), then after popping the DVD into the drive, you'll see the files themselves.

When you say 'ripped' I assume you're talking about decryption rather than a straight copy of the disc. In which case something being an ISO is not at all indicative of the state of its encryption - after creating a DVD from the ISO, the files may still be locked down by CSS or whatnot. The only way around that is to have decrypted the disc first using SmartRipper or DVD Decrypter or whatnot, and then to take those files and create a new DVD-Video image from them, in which case any disc created from the new ISO will have no encryption.

ImgBurn is the successor of DVD Decrypter's burning engine, for those that are unaware (which I think is a small number now, considering how long it's been around). I would always recommend it over DVD Decrypter's burning functions, as it's been continuously updated over the almost 4 years since DVD Decrypter's demise.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”