"Nuts to you!!"

EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:24 pm

These are dumb...but oh well...

Cole
Org Profile

Post by Cole » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:11 pm

MistyCaldwell wrote:People are jackasses on the internet because they don't have to worry about being pounded in the face for saying something stupid like they would in person. It's a sneaking suspicion of mine that it's mostly the people who would (or do) get pounded in real life that have to go on the 'net and be so big and tough.
That's the proverbial nail head that was hit. Depending on what I get flamed for, I usually don't give a rip, though nobody has done so to me here. If I ask a stupid question, I deserve to get reamed. On other message boards where I'm not one of the newbies, I usually make sure new people know I'm fooling around when I degrade them. Unless they're complete idiots, in which case I simply ignore everything they write for the remainder of, well, my life. Flame wars can be extremely fun, though, when everybody involved does it without malice.

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:26 pm

Zarxrax wrote:I'm in the same dealy as superspike there. I never got flamed for being a noob, cause I never did anything really stupid. Or if I did do something stupid, I'm man enough to admit my fault instead of trying to get into a flame war (although I do enjoy a heated debate sometimes :wink: ).
I read the video help forums a lot, and usually try to take the time to answer the questions that I can, even though its painfully difficult sometimes... and sometimes they just ask such freaking stupid questions, that I just gotta totally ignore it. I think it would be nice if more people did that... just ignore them. I mean, if you can offer to them some constructive critisisms, then feel free to flame if you want. But if you do nothing but flame, and offer no help, then your post was just as worthless as theirs was.
My 2 cents.
I don't think people know I was a noob once... My first 4 vids... [shudders]

The people who opinionated them KNEW I was noobed ^_^

But like Zarxrax, I didn't do anything nuts. Especially if some of you think I said "How do you do this effect / that effect" I think I only asked that question once a LONG time ago and realized that it was a stupidly easy answer and proceeded to headbutt my wall...

But noobs? Yeah, if you've NEVAR made an amv before, you're a newb. You know you no longer suck when your opinions go up... ^_^ (not just here on the org but everywhere in general...)
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

fyrtenheimer
Org Profile

Post by fyrtenheimer » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:30 pm

You gave me my first op

and my only

fuck me arse

R-A-N-M-A
Org Profile

Post by R-A-N-M-A » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:59 pm

Killed and ate n00bs, what a carrer that was, to bad its long dead now.

::stomach gurgle::
- New Banner in the Works -

Still Johnny Fish

BishounenStalker
Org Profile

Post by BishounenStalker » Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:47 pm

Ok, I'll admit I only read the first page of this thread. But that aside....

I don't know about anyone else, but I make a distinct difference between "n00b" and "newbie."

A "newbie" is someone who is simply new to the forum, actually bothers to look around and read posts, and reads all available information on forum rules and such (including the main-page guides and the sticky posts at the top of each forum). So when they do make their first posts, they are sound, intelligent questions. And when they accidentally post in the wrong forum (which can happen if you're half-asleep at the comp -- I've done it), they apologize for it, as well as obeying the forum rules on sig banner size (clearly stated on the sign up page).

A "n00b" is someone who does the complete opposite. They don't read anything before posting, ask stupid, repetitive questions, and when someone corrects them (even in a non-flaming way), they either get pissy about it or they ask an even DUMBER question pertaining to the response. Such idiotic questions include (but aren't limited to) "How do I make an AMV?" (there's a g-damn sticky post with that very subject at the top of the General Anime forum for Chrissakes! Not to mention a very clear guide on the homepage), "Where do I download AMVs?", "How do I put my AMV in the database?", and my personal favorite (especially now after the Carrot's in business), "Where can I get free hosting?" N00bs also have a tendency to blatantly post questions in the wrong forum, then complain they didn't know which forum was the right one when there are perfectly clear descriptions of EACH AND EVERY FORUM right under its title.

I have no issues at all with newbies. My problem are the n00bs plugging up the forums with absolute idiotic crap because they're too fucking lazy to browse this place. If you have ANY decent web searching skills, it should not take weeks to find an answer to your question using the forum's convenient search tool (or Google for that matter). But no, these idiots want us to hold them by the hand and teach them how to tie their shoes all over again. And you know what? We don't have the time or patience to do so.

Not to mention that most n00bs don't even understand the clear-cut answers they're given, and in some cases, they actually try to contest the veteran's advice (especially in the area of video compression). It's beyond my comprehension how anyone can claim they know more than the vets on a subject they're fucking asking questions (usually STUPID questions; i.e. stuff that can be found in the guides or even in the instruction manual of whatever editing package they're using) about.

But I suppose that's my rant on the subject. It's not the newbies we non-n00bs have a problem with. It's the idiots. Heck, even some so-called "non-n00bs" have garnered flames here for being absolute morons ::coughTHEBLACKMONARCHcough::

But that's my $.02....
-- Rachel the Demon, Resident Quoter of Obscure Nostalgia
"Great. He can pick his teeth when he's done with us!" - Marina, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
Current AMV: Somewhere On This Night

Return to “Site Announcements”