A challenge to all the " l33t's "

This forum is for actual topics of discussion that do not fit the above categories.
Garylisk
Org Profile

Post by Garylisk » Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:11 pm

Of course sound can come from a PC speaker... It's a speaker after all. Just because it usually only beeps and boops is because that's all the computer is telling it to do. With the proper driver, it can make sound just like a sound card can. I used to do that when my sound card broke way back when. I don't remember where I got the driver though, and it sounded tinny as hell because ths peaker is low quality. :P
Alcohol, Drugs, Overdrive, Noise, Neon Lights, Party People, Revolution

Eek-1
Org Profile

Post by Eek-1 » Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:01 am

PC speaker cannot handle chords, which is the reason soundcard was invented.

Mask of Destiny
Org Profile

Post by Mask of Destiny » Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:08 am

Garylisk wrote:Of course sound can come from a PC speaker... It's a speaker after all. Just because it usually only beeps and boops is because that's all the computer is telling it to do. With the proper driver, it can make sound just like a sound card can. I used to do that when my sound card broke way back when. I don't remember where I got the driver though, and it sounded tinny as hell because ths peaker is low quality.
Well that's not completely true. The PC speaker has only a 1-bit output. So generally you can only generate a square wave a sound card has a proper DAC and can make more complex waveforms. However, there is a way to cheat and that's what these drivers do. You output a waveform at a constant, inaudible frequency and then you vary the duty cycle of the wave so that the average voltage will be equal to the desired voltage for that sample.
ek1 wrote:PC speaker cannot handle chords, which is the reason soundcard was invented.
It can with the method described above. However, complex waveforms sound like garbage on a Piezzo speaker, which is what many PCs have now a days.

The real problem with this approach to generating sound is that it is so dependent on the system timer and it needs almost exclusive access to it. This makes it difficult for the driver to play nice with other applications that are time sensitive.

Return to “General Off Topic”