A challenge to all the " l33t's "

This forum is for actual topics of discussion that do not fit the above categories.
gypsy
Org Profile

A challenge to all the " l33t's "

Post by gypsy » Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:40 pm

I dont know if this is the right forum so correct / flame me if you wish. :P

I have devised an eveil plan so make even the l33t's heads boil of finding out. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Many of you will ask why would anybody wnat to do what I want out of this forum (Not making the l33t's head boil).

I want to know how to convert the sound from a movie so that you will hear it through the ...

PC SPEAKER.

Bwu, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, haaaaa. :twisted:

The reason is for sorry ass people that dont have sound cards so that they can at least hear a cell phone like tone. I've heard the PC Speaker play some pretty amazing things.

Of course it wount play voices and such but the tone will be there.

If we can accomplish this AMV's will be ever more accesable.

Besides I was thinking of a topic to post and when I couldn't come up with a relevant one I picked a nasty one :shock:

I hope this one will last as long as my last post (Your favourite anime girl) that was posted in off topic, which should have been in general anime. :wink:

Enjoy.

Haste makes waste. Sit down and do it properly.

nailz
Org Profile

Post by nailz » Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:59 pm

i do believe that that is going to be an absolutely impossible task, as the pc speaker generates sound from HARDWARE.
Ploink! Magic Cupcake! <a href="http://www.elvenking.net">Elvenking</a>. I'm sorry, I can't hear you over how awesome I am.

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Re: A challenge to all the " l33t's "

Post by dokidoki » Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:47 pm

gypsy wrote:I want to know how to convert the sound from a movie so that you will hear it through the PC SPEAKER.
I don't think it would be a matter of converting files, I think it'd be a matter of getting the proper driver/player software. I know what you mean, though, I heard an old MOD player output through PC speaker and it was decent, all things considered.

I checked here:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=pc+speaker+driver

And the first link was this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... US;Q138857&
"Speak.exe contains a Microsoft Windows sound driver that allows most .wav files to be played on the PC speaker on most computers not equipped with a sound card. This article describes how to obtain, install, and use the PC speaker driver with Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows Me."

However, since I have no desire to play things through the PC speaker, I'm not going to test it.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Eek-1
Org Profile

Post by Eek-1 » Fri Oct 25, 2002 2:48 pm

Not about PC speaker.

My first 'soundcard' was covox speech thing. It's actually a digital-audio converter software that can convert digital WAV into analog audio and output it through the printer port (the signal comes out on certain pins so if you don't have a lpt-to-audio connector, you can make one.) The produced audio quality can reach as high as 48kHz.

I don't know if there still exist the driver on the Internet, but I once saw a MOD player that has a DAC built-in so there's no need to install covox.

Mask of Destiny
Org Profile

Post by Mask of Destiny » Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:06 am

I've actually used a PC speaker driver on an old laptop that didn't have a sound card. It didn't sound too bad and I believe most of the distortion was due to the size and location of the PC speaker in that particular laptop. However, the driver was for Windows 3.1 and didn't work too well in Win9x and doesn't work at all for applications that use DirectX or any other fancy API. I've also built and used a Covox speech thing. Just a few resistors, a capacitor, and a db25 connector and you're ready to go. Unfortunatley this too only has Windows 3.1 drivers and as such has the same problems as the PC Speaker approach.

RichLather
Location: Lancaster, OH Position: One of the Elder Statesmen of the .org
Org Profile

Post by RichLather » Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:25 am

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a computer so poor as to lack a proper sound card be all but incapable of playing most AMVs, due to lack of accompanying video hardware, players, codecs, etc?

Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:44 am

Touchè :lol:
RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

Mask of Destiny
Org Profile

Post by Mask of Destiny » Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:10 am

RichLather wrote:Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a computer so poor as to lack a proper sound card be all but incapable of playing most AMVs, due to lack of accompanying video hardware, players, codecs, etc?
I would imagine that the biggest problem would be CPU speed. The only laptops I have seen that don't have sound cards are old and slow (75MHz Pentium) and probably couldn't decode MPEG1 let alone DivX at full speed. Video hardware isn't a problem because all you need is a video card that supports overlay and even that isn't strictly necessary. Players and codecs can all be installed and are not dependent on the age of the machine.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:46 am

RichLather wrote:Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a computer so poor as to lack a proper sound card be all but incapable of playing most AMVs, due to lack of accompanying video hardware, players, codecs, etc?
Not necessarily. ASCII art output is always an option for display. No, I'm not kidding: http://aa-project.sourceforge.net/aalib/

It actually looks pretty damn good, too. :)

However, as far as redirecting output to the PC speaker goes:

The problem is that there is no DMA channel going to the PC speaker, and nearly every sound board these days relies on having direct memory access so that it can get sound data without having to suck up CPU time -- which, I'm pretty sure, is the reason why the Microsoft SPEAK driver won't do anything more complex than WAV files.

gypsy
Org Profile

Post by gypsy » Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:47 pm

Thanx for all the help guys (or gals) :).

The reason I want to get this thing to work is so I can show some people @ work some amv's / anime or something. The PC's are more than capable of playing the movies but ther just isn't one sound card installed in any pc at work.

"Were here to work not to play" So sais the boss.

I tried it @ work and got it to work sort of. I still have to fine tune the wav files to pake them less complex. When I play something it sounds like a modem connecting to the internet. Guess I have to convert them to something like midi and then back to wave. Cant really hear tones. I wrote a bat file so that recorder opens, playes the file and then mplayer2 opens and playes the soundless movie. The timing wasn't hundreds (but it was close enough), and I sucseeded in getting more people interested in anime.

My good deed for the day is complete. The anime-industry has just grown by 10 members. If everybody everywhere can get people interested @ 10 a week Anime would REALLY take foot EVERYWHERE !!!

Guess this one wont last as long as my last post. Guess I'l have to open a topic that is A LOT more attractive. (like, WHY did some goon start anime ???) Guess I'll do that.

Check under General Anime and lets see where this one goes.
:D

Return to “General Off Topic”