Sleep Is Death [Beastie Boys, Cursed One-Piece AMV]

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
AbrogateNeed
Org Profile

Sleep Is Death [Beastie Boys, Cursed One-Piece AMV]

Post by AbrogateNeed » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:39 pm

I like the notion of having a video with both Beastie Boys and "One Piece" in the title that functions very differently than you'd expect a video with those tags to operate.

Glad to be part of a proud lineage of AMVs for the song that makes people go "That was Beastie Boys?"

Much love to Ad-Rock, Jason Rohrer, gertrude_gandy & phifedawg

On Redondo Beach, lookin for you-ou-ou, but you're gone gone

seasons
Org Profile

Re: Sleep Is Death [Beastie Boys, Cursed One-Piece AMV]

Post by seasons » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:18 pm

This is one that will be with me for a while

ProstrateConstantly
Org Profile

Re: Sleep Is Death [Beastie Boys, Cursed One-Piece AMV]

Post by ProstrateConstantly » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:09 pm

seasons wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:18 pm
This is one that will be with me for a while
Glad to hear it Seasons, and thanks so much for checking it out! There's definitely something vaguely haunted and October-y about this vid in particular.

Speaking of which, I thought I'd use this post to share a vid I finished shortly after this one that I can definitely see as a tonal extension. This vid uses frames from various short mangas by the great Kazuo Umezu which I'd collected a while ago and always wanted to put to good use somewhere. I was lucky that, while these frames were just randomly on my mind, a local experimental artist who releases under the pseudonym Quillmage played this great recording of his at a local music club meeting I was attending. It was perfect for this vid because it refuses to become generic soundtrack backing, the way it pulses and has these constantly striking lil aural textures (those saxophone pads puttin in work) makes it feel like a real natural extension of Umezu's beautiful artstyle. This vid was a rly invigorating lil experiment and I'm excited by how it turned out!

Weird coincidence: One of the manga shorts used in this vid is Umezu's adaptation of the classic story "The Woman of the Snow". This same short story features in the haunting, beautiful film Kwaidan that I just recently had the pleasure of seeing at my local artsy theater as programmed and introduced by the fantastic new director Kyle Edward Ball (whose recent film Skinamarink has become a deep influence on my own work as well as a general touchstone of great inspiration in my life).

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”