ummm yeah

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:16 am

Dejana wrote:If non-anime videos aren't allowed anymore, just say so. Don't resort to sneaky tactics like this.
I forgot to mention this before, but based on your joined date, this should be the third VCA season you've seen... and this same rule was in effect for last year's VCAs. This is the second year in a row they've stated it quite publicly -- how's that sneaky?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Dejana
Org Profile

Post by Dejana » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:49 pm

I stopped making AMVs for a long time and missed the past contests.

All right, I must have missed something when I submitted my non-anime video. Too bad I didn't see it before I got comments and stats on that vid. I concede. I was just a bit taken aback seeing the contest rules for the first time. Have the submission rules always been like that? How did the non-anime categories get in there then?

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:57 pm

Because people ignore the rules, and post the videos anyway?

The admins aren't perfect, either, and it's a big database.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:30 pm

And the system to actually prevent people from uploading non-anime videos is fairly recent. Before then, people would report users that abused the server to the mod drop box and the non-anime videos would get taken down.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:44 pm

Dejana wrote:All right, I must have missed something when I submitted my non-anime video. Too bad I didn't see it before I got comments and stats on that vid.
When this came up last year a number of older editors just stood out of the VCA by refusing to delete their 'off-site-hosted' non-anime vid descriptions. So far the only non-anime entries they delete are the ones on local. So if you want to vote, but not run, for the contest, don't do anything. They have trouble deleting locally hosted non-anime vids when someone drops them in front of their noses. I doubt they'll get around to bothering direct-hosted videos anytime soon.
I was just a bit taken aback seeing the contest rules for the first time. Have the submission rules always been like that? How did the non-anime categories get in there then?
The non-anime category comes from videos that (in the older days) had mixed anime and non-anime footage. Instead of listing the name of the non-anime source (and encouraging people to upload more of those videos), they marked 'non-anime' to account for the extra footage. Then they decided the 'non-anime' was encouraging people to upload vids with *no* anime at all, so they deleted it. Unfortunately, now people just use those non-anime titles instead of a generic 'non-anime' category. Sort of defeated their purpose there.

As for the submission rules, the one from 2002 doesn't say a word about it. They did rule out 'various' and 'unknown' from the anime categories, but there's not a word about whether or not videos can be non-anime. And note, they don't mention anything about disqualifying a person who's listed non-anime vids next to their anime vids.

But...they reserved the right to disqualify people "at any time" after the disqualification date. So I guess that's when they went after the ones they didn't want running in the competition (like any who had non-anime vids nominated for the contest).

Dejana
Org Profile

Post by Dejana » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:18 pm

Ahaa. So it WASN'T in the rules when I joined a-m-v.org. I had a feeling something had changed; when I first started getting into stuff like this I was an eager-to-please newbie who carefully followed every rule for fear of pissing someone off. I must have seen the categories and thought non-anime videos were okay.

Thanks. It's nice to know I'm not crazy. :lol:

Return to “VCA Shameless Promotions 2005”