What is my problem here?

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:43 pm

Umm, if you shot this with a video camera, then the footage is interlaced, because well - NTSC is interlaced and stuff. So it's probably a result of the interlacing.

The_Mad_Hatter
Org Profile

Post by The_Mad_Hatter » Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:59 pm

ErMaC wrote:Umm, if you shot this with a video camera, then the footage is interlaced, because well - NTSC is interlaced and stuff. So it's probably a result of the interlacing.
Nah, probably not. Most run of the mill capture cards like Dazzle auto deinterlace on capture. And even if it was captured interlaced you wouldn't see two or more sperate balls on the screen, rather a single ball that looked like it was bein split apart on every other line. Couldn't be ghosting either cause the balls were completely seperate, not like a shadow. Sounds to me like it's just a matter of frame rate. The clip he captured or got from someone else is set to like 30fps or 60fps and then when he exports it's dropping down to 30 or 15.

y2kwizard
Org Profile

Post by y2kwizard » Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:52 pm

Well, here are my project settings: Image

And the settings theory still doesn't explain why when I run the clip through AE I get none of this two-football nonesense...or maybe it does....
"When I got fat, I decided to grow a beard" -- The Great Andy
"Is it a DARTH visor?" and "It's funny cuz it's pants" -- The Master of on-the-spot Funniness
"You're too young for your age" and "I'm sorry for apologizing so much" -- The Master of on-the-spot Randomness

y2kwizard
Org Profile

Post by y2kwizard » Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:25 am

somehow I deleted the picture of the football, so here's an example of my problem using a person:

"Is it a DARTH visor?" and "It's funny cuz it's pants" -- The Master of on-the-spot Funniness
"You're too young for your age" and "I'm sorry for apologizing so much" -- The Master of on-the-spot Randomness

The_Mad_Hatter
Org Profile

Post by The_Mad_Hatter » Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:52 am

Okay now that looks like ghosting. If your settings are the same for source and export then it does seem to be an interlaced frames problem. You used a deinterlacer, it just didn't do so great a job. Run a deghoster over it and it should fix it.

y2kwizard
Org Profile

Post by y2kwizard » Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:00 am

Now that's certainly interesting...remember, what you see here is the source of the DV file that I captured...I've not doctored this at all.

Also, does ErMaC go over ghosting in his guide...I didn't see it..but maybe I missed it. If so, just beat me, but if not, what is ghosting, and what is a deghoster?

thanks a ton!

The_Mad_Hatter
Org Profile

Post by The_Mad_Hatter » Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:31 am

y2kwizard wrote:Now that's certainly interesting...remember, what you see here is the source of the DV file that I captured...I've not doctored this at all.
When the video is captured it's being deinterlaced, but it's not using a very advanced method so it's creating a sort of after image or ghost. If you wanna learn more about it try searching for methods of deinterlacing.
Also, does ErMaC go over ghosting in his guide...I didn't see it..but maybe I missed it. If so, just beat me, but if not, what is ghosting, and what is a deghoster?

thanks a ton!
Not sure if he does or not, I can't remember. In TMPGEnc there's a filter for deghosting, also in Premier 5.5 (not sure if it's the same in later versions), but when you export the video there's like a special settings option and I believe there's a filter there to deghost, amongst other things.

y2kwizard
Org Profile

Post by y2kwizard » Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:51 pm

THANKS A TON! You rock! I'll tell you how it works when I get home this afternoon

y2kwizard
Org Profile

Post by y2kwizard » Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:57 pm

Well, I don't see any deghosting export settings in Premiere...in fact, when I go to Search and type in ghost or ghosting, I get no information about the ghosting you're referring to. I guess I'll try TMPEGEnc.

Return to “Adobe Software”