Difference between education and retail versions of software

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Difference between education and retail versions of software

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:35 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows the difference(s) between the educational versions of editing software (specifically Premiere, Photoshop, and AfterEffects). I want to get a retail version 'cause its retail, but if there's really no difference between the two versions then I'll just get the cheaper one.

And can anyone suggest a few combos (i.e. a capture card bundled with a Premiere retail version), cause y'never know, I could need both and I'll save money on both at the same time.

Thanks guys.
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:07 pm

There is no difference except cost and packaging. Basically, you see "Adobe Photoshop 6 - Academic Version" on the packing and on the splash screen when you startup.

Feature-wise they are the same products. You would want to look out for LE versions, as in "Learning Edition" or "Lite Edition" as those are usually crippled.

jonmartensen
Org Profile

Post by jonmartensen » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:11 pm

Many Educational Versions you can only use for learning purposes (i.e. can not sell anything produced from the EV) But if you're just buying the EV for premiere that shouldn't be a problem (especially if it's just for AMV's)

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:49 pm

soo - that's what the LE means :( LE came with my Video Card but didn't seem to do much!

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:54 pm

Oh....now that's odd....

Oh yeah, on Adobe's website I also saw a Professional and Standard editions of some programs as well. Anyone know what that's about?

And does anyone else think it's wrong to charge $200 for just an upgrade!? That's just robbery!!
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

Nurd
Org Profile

Post by Nurd » Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:10 pm

Well no, it's not robbery, it's capitalism. If they were charging 200 dollars for something along the lines of a simple bugfix patch, that I could almost construe as robbery.

A whole new version, though, might have new features, be more optimized, or things of that nature. They're not charging the full new version price for it, which is mainly just a customer loyalty bonus, but if they went around giving new versions away, they would quickly lose money and would endanger themselves of becoming bankrupt.

Granted, you might be able to make the valid argument that they could have set the price a bit lower than 200 dollars and still made money, but if you view it on the other hand, considering the niche market the product serves, they could very well have said that anyone wanting the new version is going to have to pay full price.

Nurd

Finally those capitalist dogs will get what they deserve, eh comrades?
Uhm... We won.
Oh, well then, hooray capitalism!

I know I butchered the quote, consider it paraphrased

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:16 pm

If theres a choice between a standard and pro edition, the standard edition has some features missing. Usually nothing CRITICAL, but can be annoying to not have. For example the standard version of After Effects does not include Motion Tracking, some of the effects, and other stuff.

Return to “Video Editing Software”