Obligatory, annual, elitist AWA 2022 Accy reviews!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
MadMegatax
Org Profile

Re: Obligatory, annual, elitist AWA 2022 Accy reviews!

Post by MadMegatax » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:58 pm

Hey, welcome back! We're just a couple a minutes away from votes for finalists being shut down, and so you know what time it is: it's time for a tier list review post (because everyone LOVES tier lists which guarantees people look at my opinions). With that being said though, as always before we start tier lists are HIGHLY controversial. They are always heavily influenced by personal opinions and tier lists are never an end-all be-all, they're just mostly used for fun nowadays.

However, the most important thing before we start is that we kinda shifted away from a one-dimensional tier list to a two-dimensional tier list. The y-axis (SUCCESS) represents how successful the video was in conveying whatever was intended to the audience (does a sentimental type video provoke emotions? does a drama type video do well in conveying its mood/intensity/story/whatever? does an artistic video captivate the audience with its visuals/abstract message?). So the higher on the y-axis means the more a video was able to accomplish whatever it intended to. The x-axis (likability) represents how much I personally liked it. So the higher on the x-axis, the more I like it. Now the reason why I decided to separate these traits is because I think it makes more sense as my reviews are more focused on value (as in, how worth is this video to watch). For this contest, we're probably more concerned with success, rather than my own personal likability of the video. And while likability does have a strong relation with success, it's not the only thing that matters. There are videos that I like a lot but not necessarily successful. And there are videos I'm not fond of but do well in whatever they are trying to convey.

Unfortunately, because the canvas is rather small (and I have no official numbers to assign to these videos), each video gets its own picture for its placement in the tier list and it's not gonna be pixel perfect. So it's pretty much an approximation and another thing to be careful of.

Example blank tier list:

Anyway, let's get started (also since there's no official numbers this year and I don't feel like sorting alphabetically you're gonna have to search for the title, apologies):
Spoiler :

Final final an Autobiography.mp4
Spoiler :

So this is supposed to be a meta video about entering Accolades (but really since this is the first time the contest is called as such, it's reflecting the past years as Pro). The thing is, the way this whole video is framed really does not click with me. MC is awed by all the awesome editing and then decides to edit a video on his own. But what the heck is he even editing??? It's just a bunch of flow clips of a bunch of different anime with no central theme, alternatating between scenes of him editing. What award did he win for this??? It's smooth editing, but the concept is really killing my enjoyment of this. I really think some focus here on a hypothetical cohesive AMV would really strengthen your video. My actual preference is if you were somehow able to convey the feelings while editing for a contest beyond simple actions of editing (i.e. stress, joy of completing a vid, reacting to premiere crashing) but that may require a complete overhaul of your vid so I doubt that's in the cards. Also, you missed on a potential joke about no best upbeat from that one year, that makes me sad. Also, fix the masks whenever you're placing anime on a screen.
Homage
Spoiler :

I have no idea what's happening which might be bad if you're trying to introduce us to this world. But honestly I thought the live action overlayed with the animation was visually interesting for me. My personal preference of this song is with lyrics, but I guess the ending part doesn't have lyrics so it isn't that much of a deal breaker.
A New Start
Spoiler :

I think this would be better if the focus was entirely on babies, rather than including shots of children. Or maybe babies growing into children? idk it feels like a slideshow of various kids at various stages of being kids, and it didn't touch me as much as it could have if the focus was more narrow.
Doppelganger
Spoiler :

So at first I thought this would be a video about Bond girls, but then it expanded to other movies and I didn't quite get what the focus of this video was. Half of it was Bond with the women in his movies, the other half is women dealing with dopplegangers (I assume since I haven't watched these movies). Unfortunately it didn't really click with me.
Komi Can't Coffee
Spoiler :

It's fine, but I kinda wish there was a cute visual gag to make the joke stronger. As it is, the reactions are cute for a short vid.
But We Were In Love
Spoiler :

I only know the character names so bear with me on how I interpreted the story of your video. Casca and Griffith are really close and might even be in love, but then Guts shows up and Casca falls in love with him. Griffith kinda loses it despite the friendship he had with Guts and that weird face is probably bad. I was interested in watching the story unfold, but I don't think it was really successful because not a lot of time was spent on Casca and Guts bonding. The beginning of the video really sells you on Casca and Griffith becoming super close so I'm missing the step of Casca deciding on Guts. I'm not sure if there's a way to include that somehow, but ultimately the love triangle between the three as portrayed in this video feels weaker as a result.
Turning Numb
Spoiler :

I thought this was really cute. I think some of the cuts are too fast, and they don't really give the viewer a chance to linger on some of the angst (please believe me I mean this seriously). It doesn't hurt to linger on some of the imagery a bit to leave more of an impact for emotions.
Eromanga Sensei's Inner Thots
Spoiler :

There are probably a lot of design/text/asthetic choices to be addressed here in order to make the video look better. I am not the best person for this. For masking some of the characters, the quality difference between zoomed in characters (blurrier edges) and non zoomed characters can be obvious so if you're lookling to improve the visuals you might want to focus on using characters that are closer to the foreground and have more details. In terms of concept, the framing honestly feels a bit weak, we don't really get reactions from main girl as she thinks about all these characters. The core of the video itself as something of a candy edit is okay, it mainly needs polish and better graphical stuff. Technical stuff: fix audio mixing and 1:14 fix background border.
Anxiety
Spoiler :

I think that the section around 1:42 is pretty strong. For the video before that, it felt a bit meandering. In order to build up the intensity more, you could leverage the heavy beats in the song and cut at those parts. I think it would help improve the feeling of anxiety.
Echoes of Sin
Spoiler :

I like the approach of portraying madoka as the god she becomes. It's not an approach that I see often, and I'm always happy to see different approaches for this show. I think the focus on that could have been tighter (maybe by lingering on her saving all the magical girls more). Also squished face issue.
Sad Trombone Noises
Spoiler :

I think this video is incredibly well composed. At the same time, I don't think it connects with the song well enough. It showcases all the action until the "come on baby" part, at which point we focus on human emotions. But I would argue it might be better to connect to the emotions of the song earlier than that. Additionally (and this is just my own personal opinion) but I think there's a really cool opportunity here to establish Decim as the "god" figure discussed in the song, and then at the end of the vid when he breaks down, it could feel like "god" was touched by this human effort even more. Also fix bowling ball sparkle mask at 2:40.
Float Away
Spoiler :

I think this video needs to be more focused on the fun. Right now it's going from one part to another with crossfades, but you can snappy quick cuts to help with the feeling of fun. I don't know how much the focus can be on fun though since you also have some sort of plot going on?
Star Dreadnaughts
Spoiler :

Apologies but I was getting motion sickness from this. I don't know about how well it succeeds but I definitely couldn't watch.
Insane
Spoiler :

NO I WAS GONNA MAKE THIS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I think my biggest issue with this is the number of crossfades, straight up cuts would make the edit feel more snappy which would better suit the song IMO. Also my personal recommendation is to adjust the executions so that you don't have black bars, it can result in some weird zooms (2:21). I really like the transition of junko in the courtroom that goes multicolor. Congrats random anon, I'll just have to think of another idea :sob:
Pack A Punch
Spoiler :

I love this vid. The movement sync with the song feels so visceral, I can feel the punch while watching it. I love the sweat part too, that was creative. A favorite of mine.
Legendary Destiny
Spoiler :

By all means I should have been bored watching this video. Pure action with no purpose, no distinct characters, shooting game.... but I loved it?? The flow was so good and the scene selection helped create variety to the edit. I would be interested to learn if some of this was captured in game, or if it's all promotional material. I would argue it starts to drag at the end and might benefit from shortening the song, but overall a favorite of mine.
A Dedication to Jody Husky
Spoiler :

I think this concept would have benefited if you had focused on one wolf, instead of all these different wolves. It was difficult to get emotionally invested in the video as a result. Also the christmas lights were really corny.
In Another World with My Meth Lab
Spoiler :

I think this is a fun take on a show that I assume is incredibly serious. We get all these silly clips or out of context clips showing some of the outrageous things that occur throughout the series, and I think it does well at being fun. I personally was taken out a bit by the bloody deaths near the end, which had not occurred in the video before that. It made it a bit too serious for me, but I also suspect that this might be the point of that sequence.
A Thousand Bops
Spoiler :

I laughed a bunch. I think it would have been stronger if the person talking was just Jet instead of some of the other randos. I also would recommend removing the text at the end, unless that's a joke about throwing away all thousand mile amvs? In which case that wasn't really clear.
Sundry
Spoiler :

Honestly I enjoy watching this vid, I like the editing, and the scene selection to emphasize the similar imagery. However, it feels like 40% KH/60% other video games mix. I would like to see it more balanced (and also more N:TWEWY but that's my personal preference).
Some Knights
Spoiler :

My favorite parts are the romance parts. Does this mean I like OG Romeo and Juliet??? Though I suspect that this show focuses on way more than that which is why we see the buildup of war and stuff. I think a touch more of sentimentality may help? Introducing Romeo earlier, focusing on the feeling of being together at the end even in death, idk. Good editing/flow though.
Twin Flame
Spoiler :

I think this video does a good job at being a romance video in that it focuses on everything you can expect for a romance, from the "meeting" to the developing relationship to the conflict to the resolution. For me personally, the pacing kinda kills it for me. After we've established the relationship after the first chorus, it spends too much time showing them in the same position in their relationship, liking each other with psychic hijinks involved. Then during the climax of the vid when they're about to reunite, we get more of these same scenes instead of showing them actually reunited so I felt jerked around a bit. Logically I get the editing choices here, I just didn't enjoy it as a result.
Domus Mactibilis
Spoiler :

I think this is really cute (tbf I've seen the movie)! I really like the concept of a character profile of the house. I think framing it as such could be stronger (make it more clear that the emotional turmoil going on is the house, if possible try to frame the video as the house viewing the kids rather than it being from the kids perspective). The latter suggestion is probably tough given what you have to work with, but I still enjoyed it.
Waving Through
Spoiler :

I think this is an incredibly strong character profile for Deku. A lot of the time, MHA vids for me feel like they awkwardly cut off because the story isn't over so they just have to end it somewhere. But for this video, it feels like you portrayed Deku's complete emotional journey so it feels timeless regarldess of how much of the anime you've seen. A favorite of mine.
Girl Can't Help It
Spoiler :

The editing here could be quicker (a lot of segments are just one scene, when you could potentially be cutting more clips in so it feels like it has more energy). Also is there a way to get better quality clips? But I would still like to watch this video if it's improved.
Southern Fried Telenovela
Spoiler :

I'M CRYING. I thought this was supposed to be an AMV contest, but you just submitted the plot for SnS S5. Everyone was perfectly cast, and the only thing I would recommend would be to try to find some more clips with motion to make this more visually entertaining. Then again, we are talking about S5 which had already reached the slideshow stage of the show's life cycle... Anyway, a favorite of mine.
A Goldfish Wouldn't Love You Twice
Spoiler :

I honestly think this video is almost there. The beginning is so strong, I find the romance endearing, and the drama of them constantly dying compelling. Some things I might consider: 1) have Emilia always be the one to say "say it again" to keep the dialogue consistent. 2) Maybe find a way to better illustrate the reciprocity of the feelings, right now I can tell Subaru definitely loves Emilia but is there a way to clearly show the reverse, even just once? 3) Continue to focus on the romance at the end of the video. I also think that some of the Subaru-centric sections near the end could be cut, but that's up to you
Accoladeez Nuts
Spoiler :

Action can be fun??? What????????????? All of the vid is so fun to watch, you did well going with the flow of the music. This is just an incredibly entertaining watch. The one detraction is just sometimes I don't know what's happening, but it all looks cool so it's fine with me.
Love is not a Victory March
Spoiler :

I think my enjoyment of this video was ruined because of my knowledge about the show. My reaction from the start was "oh we got Miki framing the story for us, also Nanami listening in." Then we focused on Utena with some Anthy and Dios (cool). Then some Touga (ooo where is this going). Then Utena/Anthy interspliced with Juri (hmm not what I expected but interesting). Then back to Utena/Anthy (o-oh). Then ending with Kozue and the sunlit garden (oh...). We got glimpses of so many characters that I was kinda hoping for an ensemble piece when it mostly ended up focusing on Utena/Anthy with a slight detour in the middle. It's well composed and a pretty edit, but I guess I'm wishing for what could have been.
disquiet
Spoiler :

I really like this concept! I think the editing could use some tightening up (some overlays need work, maybe make the ending more intense with building up on the imagery).
The Descent
Spoiler :

I think this was visually interesting, but I couldn't really follow what was going on. My naive suggestion is find a way to establish the character (especially the whole starting killing everyone thing), but I suspect that this is a faithful reflection of the actual source so unless I watched it I would still feel lost. I don't really think it's the fault of the video, but I just couldn't connect as a result.
Macaque Can Hate Wukong; If It Helps
Spoiler :

I couldn't really tell what was going on. The end had suitable intensity but since I didn't understand how it got there it didn't really feel like good payoff. Maybe something more to establish character and motivations would help?
Grin and Bear It
Spoiler :

I'm really close to being on board with this video, I just think there could be some areas where the scenes connected better with the song (example: 0:37 show overwhelming thing for woman instead of duck). And if there were any clips of the animals actively helping the woman that would really help too, but I suspect that's probably not supported by the source.
The History of Bardock
Spoiler :

Way too many fade to black moments. For a good majority of the video I couldn't even get a good look at this character. Really just made it hard to watch. I also couldn't tell much about a history/story portrayed in this video.
Into the Merdnerss
Spoiler :

This is really fun! I think it made really good use of the fantastical imagery from the movie. Now on a meta level... I think this was a missed opportunity for a really good meta joke. You chose to use the song from "Into the Madness" from last year's contest which is fine for a 1 to 1 parody, but I think it would have been really could to use the sequel song and add your video to the lore of whatever "madness" universe this is that way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXkkZUkr85c. Ultimately I'll still associate this song with the original video, but idk I would have really loved the idea of a "sequel".
The Daily Grind
Spoiler :

This video does what it set out to do. Nothing more and nothing less. There is nothing to change and nothing to add. It's okay.
Reporting for Duty
Spoiler :

This is so cute!! This is actually the first Genshin vid I've actually liked so big kudos for that. I think it's incredibly hard to do a character focus given the type of footage we typically have available for Genshin, but this did really well wtih scene selection and gathering footage in the game to give a cute tribute to Collei. My biggest issue is the inclusion of the MMD scene, but that involves me diving into MMD culture and what's considered rude or not and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the AMV community who has thought about something like that LOL.
MILF: Mom I'd Like to Fit
Spoiler :

I get the joke but I didn't really find it funny, just not my type of humor.
The Sky Beast
Spoiler :

For the most part I think it's a fine trailer. Some of the sections in the middle felt a bit samey (lots of faces reacting). I'd like to see more action of their traversal, or maybe the scope of their airship compared to the world. IDK if there's any footage of their ship to scale with the world below though.
Heros on Fire
Spoiler :

This doesn't feel edited. Please use more than one scene and expand the scope of your concept.
Loid Forger: Man on a Mission
Spoiler :

What an adorable video! Only one minor technical nitpick: at 1:32, the zoom stops abruptly, I suspect you'll need to adjust your pan for that entire clip. If you ever cared about applying some extra techincal for this, you could make some sort of "fake tv show" end card to show Loid as the star of the show, with Sylvia awkwardly cutting in and him asking her to stop. A favorite of mine.
BFFF
Spoiler :

Good matching of scene selection to song to showcase all the wacky shenanigans of these bros. I kinda got bored half way through cuz there was no hook for me to care about these guys, but the only way to fix that would be to better establish who these two are and that would probably ruin the general attitude of the vid.
Kaguya Land
Spoiler :

I like the concept, but I think this requires some cleaning up. The kiss feels really abrupt, I think that there might be better scenes to use for certain spoken lines, lip sync needs work, source where tf it was voted #2 anime of all time. (I also found the review quotes to be pretty cringe, but that's because I find some of those sources to be pretty cringe. You don't need to remove it from the vid.)
Nightmare
Spoiler :

Audio mixing is bad. Why were lines being interrupted?? It felt really weird. I also didn't care for the big scare part, since it didn't really establish the payoff for it and there was nothing after to to indicate the result of all that. It just felt like a jumpscare for the sake of a jumpscare.
Tribute to the Shield Hero
Spoiler :

To start off, some of the video quality is sus AF. But let's get to the concept! This is an action-ish Shield Hero vid, with some voice overs from the characters throughout the video. This video ends with a titlecard revealing that this is a tribute to the deceased voice actor. So this is not a tribute to the Shield Hero, as the title would imply, but a tribute to the English voice actor of this character. To go with some of the issues: it feels kinda insulting to the deceased to reduce his work's worth to just the one show. He's been the lead of some other works, so it ends up feeling that you made a Shield Hero AMV and slapped on the tribute at the end. It emotionally falls flat. It also doesn't feel like a tribute to the Shield Hero voice, either, considering how much emphasis is on the girl. Finally, it feels really weird to make a draction when this is covering the subject of a real person's death. At least I would understand a sentimental tribute, but how is this supposed to accurately reflect the tragedy of a person passing? An absolutely bad approach in so many ways.
20 Years of Magic
Spoiler :

Kingdom Hearts is incredibly tricky because there's so many scenes that just do not make sense without context. Luckily for you, I have all the context in the world and I had so much fun watching your vid. All the cute parallels across all the characters, all the big moments across the series just hit me. My one complaint is the Foretellers sections. Yeah I know that they had a whole movie and thus should be covered under a KH 20 year tribute. It's just that they don't really have any connection to the core cast as of yet so they didn't hit as hard emotionally when they showed up.
Madoka's Reputation
Spoiler :

This is a really fun video, but there were three times where I thought it would end but it just kept going. It wasn't quite at the point of me being tired of watching it, but it did kinda bring me out of it a bit. My favorite part is the slaps.
Waveform Manipulation
Spoiler :

I think some work needs to be done on the visual effects (anyway to improve how the waveforms look? the text on the page?). The idea is okay, I just wasn't completely hooked on it.
Path of the Wayward Witch
Spoiler :

Really cool manga edit! I liked looking at it in terms of visuals, I just got a bit lost when it came to the guy that showed up. I think the way to improve this would be to focus on establishing the story more (why is guy after girl), but it's not particularly a deal breaker for me cuz I still like watching it lol.
Eat Your Desires
Spoiler :

The moment that legit sold me on this (not that it needs much selling) is the puffs flying into Eren's mouth. Amazing.
Dance of Ruin
Spoiler :

This is really cool!! Awesome editing. I think the one thing holding me back from saying I absolutely love it is I would like it if there was a bit more to establish the emotional stakes going on. We got a lot of good imagery establish the drama between all these characters, but it goes through it quickly. If there was a way to find a moment in the video to establish some of the character connections more, it would really hit me in the heart.
If We Shadows Have Offended
Spoiler :

I think the pacing could use some work. Some time was spent to establish the story but I still couldn't tell what was going on. Maybe it would be better to lean into the action and find ways to improve the flow? Or if you wanna stick to the story, include better scene selection to give the visuals portrayed more meaning when watching.
Stormchasers
Spoiler :

The beginning feels like an incredibly random assortment of scenes that try to match to the lyrics when you don't really need to. It picks up once showing the destruction around the powers (0:47), and IMO really kicks off once you start getting into the scenery in the games (0:57). I only say this because I think everything after the beginning is so strong. The pacing is good, the scene selection is good, the vibe with the song is good. If the beginning was changed or even cut, I would unreservedly love this vid. Still, a really good tribute to the series.
Good Day Trotting
Spoiler :

This video is very low stakes, which truthfully doesn't really match the vibes of the song. I feel like there should be more going on in the first half than horse hijinks. There are more stakes at the end but at that point I just feel like most of the video was just filler to get there.
The Light of the Moon
Spoiler :

So it didn't need to be only moon. You could have also had people reacting to moon. Why is moon important. What happens if moon is gone. Wasn't as interesting as it could have been.
Jones
Spoiler :

There's a lot of intense music, you could have edited to that music a bit. As it was I wasn't fully engaged.
I Got an Elephant
Spoiler :

SO COOL. You did a really good job at pacing and establishing the story for elephant man. The action flowed so well and I had a lot of fun watching this. A favorite of mine.
SheRaChase
Spoiler :

As someone who's a big fan of both sources here, this didn't really click for me. As a parody, it didn't really establish the "core" group consistently (Catra sometimes included, sometimes not). I also don't really like the speedrun through the ending. The editing is good, it just feels like the main focus here should be on the opening parody angle.
Pygmalion's Daughter
Spoiler :

Huh I never thought I would see a character profile about Yuri. Truthfully I found this a bit unsettling but that's because of my own knowledge of the show. I also think it should be made clearer the connection between Momoka and Ringo. I'm not sure if trying to make the timeline a bit more linear would help as well, but I knew all that was going on so I'm not the best person to figure this out.
PsycheDeShit
Spoiler :

I think there's potential here, the beginning just had some weird scene selection like where that girl materialized out of nowhere and then we never see her again. Maybe also an equal balance between game and anime? I don't know either so idk how feasible that is.
Tech Punk
Spoiler :

This doesn't feel edited.
Carjack Fever
Spoiler :

Okay so it wasn't until like halfway through that I realized this was supposed to be a bunch of the bounties from the show. A focus like this seems cool in theory, but I would have prefered something to tie it all together. This video doesn't establish some of their stories well.
Chihayafuru Legacy
Spoiler :

This is such a weird crossover. I'm not necessarily against it, but in order to sell the idea you need a lot of tech work IMO. Show the karuta cards digitalized, and show how the game is played in the digital world. Add Tron stuff?? I'm definitely not the expert on this LOL.
Knight Saber City
Spoiler :

I really like the editing in this video. Its main issue is that it's too long. IMO it's really hard to maintain interest in a pure action video that goes on for so long without some clarity of the story that's driving this action. Also I liked the vampire part at the beginning but it felt weird that it was the only vampire part.
Clementine
Spoiler :

Me: getting emotional because of a Taylor Swift song is incredibly basic. Me every time I watch this video: WHY CAN'T I STOP MYSELF FEELING THINGS. This video is one of the few where I actually get emotional, I think you did an amazing job of scene selection and focus to show the parallels between Clementine at different points in her life. My one worry is that someone unfamiliar with the footage wouldn't understand the visuals but it's their loss. A favorite of mine.
Unbreakable
Spoiler :

I found the text at the end a bit corny, and the final scenes might need to be better established in order to make sure that imagery hits harder with the audience. Otherwise, it's a fine action video that's edited well.
UnstoppabEL
Spoiler :

I have a feeling that my comments are completely wrong since I don't know the show, my bad in advanced. I really dug the first part since that was clearly 11 or whatever. I had to look up pictures of this character later on in the show to confirm that the focus of the video continued to be on her, because I'm am clueless when it comes to recognizing faces. Because she looked so different, I got super lost in the direction of the video. I think this is a case of this video doing well but it wasn't made for me to understand and that's okay.
Unbound
Spoiler :

This feels like a summary of the show (excluding island). IMO it's really hard to convey the story of the show unless you find a creative way to explicitly show how Fushi is continuing to gain all these identities.
Glitch Game
Spoiler :

My one complaint is the dot overlay, it's so distracting visually. Otherwise this is a super fun watch and it feels like a breath of fresh air. Remove that overlay and I'll consider it a favorite lol.
wombo
Spoiler :

This is a legitimately good GMV.
Red Lights
Spoiler :

I was vibing with this video at first but then it got pretty repetitive. I think maybe one way to add some interest is to add some focus on the people driving these cars. We got some shots in there but it felt like that clip selection was deliberately on the cars and avoiding any people. We could see more about drivers, passengers, onlookers, etc. for some variety.
OUR WAY
Spoiler :

For high intensity action you don't need so many crossfades, it kinda dulls the impact of the adrenaline feeling IMO. Otherwise a fun action vid.
Ephemeral Verisimilatude
Spoiler :

I'm not sure about the song choice here, with two singers it feels like there should be another character to focus on? The majority of the video itself was okay as it portrayed the story. Most of the ending felt suitably epic, but the ending shot itself felt awkward.
Nobody Wants To Work Anymore
Spoiler :

I've watched both of these sources so I get it lol. The combo itself still feels tough since Aggretsuko doesn't have a lot of obvious motions to help understand the quotes being said. Some of the text feels like it was placed in awkwardly.
Strawberry Serotonin
Spoiler :

This is me being incredbily picky but I think if the singer is saying strawberry blonde, you shouldn't show her with a wig on LOL. Not a dealbreaker. A really cute video, I just wish the ending felt more like actual reciprocity rather than them still having distance between them.
Vision
Spoiler :

I really liked this video once it picked up in the middle, the intensity of all the destruction to the final calm of a post destroyed world (?) was well done. I felt the beginning to really drag though. I get that it's probably intentional, but I wish there was a way to better make the viewer interested in where the concept is going instead of waiting for everything to start imploding. BTW, I turned off subtitles for this because at the con I don't think they would show the subtitles with the videos (I guess they could hardcode the subtitles in but bleh).
The Ballad of Fett
Spoiler :

WTF was that end LOL. Anyway I was kinda bored because this is a storytelling video but it didn't have anything to help the audience connect with the emotions of what's going on, it just showed one event after the other.
Dancing with Blades
Spoiler :

For the most part, it felt like the manga panels weren't really used effectively. Most of the time, they were just there to match 1:1 with the anime, and it doesn't really add any interesting context to the vid. There were some parts near the end when manga imagery was used to show certain items associated wtih characters, and I thought that was cool. If there was more of that sort of combination of manga/anime I would like this more.
We Can Hold You
Spoiler :

I liked this! It made good use of the scenes and imagery in the show to keep the video entertaining and easy to follow without context. Well, kinda easy since I still don't quite the full resolution of the murder plot lol.
Ouroboros
Spoiler :

Wow hey I know this web series! I haven't seen all of the shorts in the series so I could only follow about half of what was going on haha. I think the first third was good at worldbuilding but then it goes to another short story when it should have probably stayed focused on the initial story portrayed. Because from that point it just feels like it's jumping around between a bunch of stores without establishing the connection all that well.
Laundry Day
Spoiler :

I thought this did a really good job focusing on Tohru and the grief around losing her mother. I guess my one complaint is near the end, you're using a bunch of still images to montage all the people in Tohru's life now and it feels like it really slows down there. Anyway definitely good at making you feel emotions.
Derivative
Spoiler :

There needs to be more editing done around scene selection. I don't think it's compelling to show the same scene for 20 seconds without stop. And some of the scenes are extremely difficult to parse with the effects used. But hey maybe your use of blue period is because you want to say all art is subjective. True, but it doesn't help the core concept of your video.
T.A.P.P.
Spoiler :

So much flow at the beginning and then the motion is full stopped just for lip sync. Didn't feel worth it. Beyond that it's okay as a character profile.
Blonde 2
Spoiler :

This video feels Weird. I get the whole concept of having the actress from the upcoming Barbie movie to this song, but at the same time it's trying to fit all these different genres of movies to one peppy song. The only sections that felt like they really fit are the Harley Quinn parts.
Blood Moon
Spoiler :

I think there's more potential of cool flow in this video considering the animation in the source. And for the middle section with the girl, the editing could be clearer to better show how she's connected to Alucard since it feels like she's doing a guest verse or something. Maybe he's could be shown encouraging her bloodlust more or something? Not sure if that fits with the show or not lol.
combo
Spoiler :

Okay hear me out. Hear me out. You could have had him at near death and then the biggest comeback ever.
A Somebody To Love
Spoiler :

Sora for Smash let's gooooooooo!!
Neon Limbo
Spoiler :

Well, this is incredibly well edited. And good storytelling. And I know AMVs are supposed to be transformative. But man I just can't get behind this video because it's just so different from the relationship I liked in the show. This is absolutely a me problem, so don't feel like you need to change it or whatever.

Return to “AMV Contests”