Manga or Comic Book Effect

nekoinabox
Org Profile

Post by nekoinabox » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:40 pm

Tough call. Now I read manga right to left, but I watch video left to right. I don't know if you'd want the visual tension reading flow vs camera flow would produce. I think you should use the one that tells the story better, and not worry about "how it should be".

Since you have total control of the frame, why limit yourself to left or right? Seize the vertical space too :wink:

Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin
Org Profile

Post by Kristyrat » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:19 am

A lot depends on what kind of mood you're going for. If it's something more jarring and shocking, a R->L will achieve that effect, because it's against what people are typically used to doing when reading a story (or a situation in life, typically we always pan L->R). If you want it to seem more smooth and 'normal' then you should go with a L-R.

It would be pretty cool to see a mix between the two though, getting a good play between the different effects you'd achieve with either pan.

Good luck :up:

MadScientist
Org Profile

Post by MadScientist » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:32 am

nekoinabox wrote:Since you have total control of the frame, why limit yourself to left or right? Seize the vertical space too :wink:
Yeah the overall concept involves some vertical panning too when moving "down the page," so I don't plan on limiting myself to a horizontal flow only.
Kristyrat wrote:If you want it to seem more smooth and 'normal' then you should go with a L-R.

It would be pretty cool to see a mix between the two though, getting a good play between the different effects you'd achieve with either pan.
The more I think about it, I think the overall flow and mood of the video would work better with a L>R flow, but I have some ideas on how I could switch it up at certain points. Unfortunately I probably wont have much time to really work on this until after Christmas because of some live action stuff I will be helping someone with. Which really sucks because right now I am brimming with ideas for this video and I really want to work on it right now. :cry:

lister007
Org Profile

Post by lister007 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:42 pm

Manga is always read right to left.

however,

You should always decide what looks best for the overall composition. If you watch some trailers for films they may completely flip an image so it look right in the trailer, however, it will be fliped the other way for the film because that is what looks the best. An example would be here, watch how bruce willis' scar changes position between the two trailers.
Spatchcock..........A dressed and split chicken for roasting or grilling on a spit.
Bring it
Berserk or crazy...??? (image shack sucks will have a banner for this too when it doesn't!)

RosenRed
Org Profile

Post by RosenRed » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:18 am

It really depends on your target group if you ask me...

Most people will find it easier to understand, and grasp the consept of it, if you present it L->R, since this is how they are used to reading. A hard core manga fan on the other side might be a bit displeased, since he/she believes that manga should be read R->L (although when manga were first published in US they would always flip them :lol: )

If what you have in mind is something as close to manga as possible, I'd say go for tradition. If you only want to give the book-feeling do what would be easier for most people.

Anyway, I think you had a very good idea, and in the end it will make no big difference, since originality will overcome such a detail 8-)
<a>Deep Into The Rabbit Hole...</a>

Koopiskeva
|:
Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.
Org Profile

Post by Koopiskeva » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:37 am

Just go crazy and do D-U, inverted, with lens flares.
Hi.

Squirrel Ninja
Org Profile

Post by Squirrel Ninja » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:36 am

Agreed R-L if people are watching the amv they should be comfortable enough reading manga Right to left. See also the manga scene in FLCL

MadScientist
Org Profile

Post by MadScientist » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:11 pm

Koopiskeva wrote:Just go crazy and do D-U, inverted, with lens flares.
Haha, yeah that would really get the audience to be like "eh, wut?"
Squirrel Ninja wrote:Agreed R-L if people are watching the amv they should be comfortable enough reading manga Right to left. See also the manga scene in FLCL
I like how that scene was done.

I think I've determined to go the R-L route because now I have a great idea on how to end the video. It will require the audience to feel like they have been "In the Manga" for the duration, so I think I've decided on the basis of that.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”