Vegas 9.0- all clips slow and juddery

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Re: Vegas 9.0- all clips slow and juddery

Post by HalOfBorg » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:38 am

a1ic3 wrote:If the problem is with the preview then I think the problem is related to his system. Most probably the processor is the culprit. The processing speed is very less and that is why he is having this issue.
I use 8 and have tried 10....

Yes indeed. A preview of a project on my netbook (32bit) can lag terribly, especially on "Best". Take same project on the new PC (Phenom II processor, 4 gig RAM 32bit) and it barely lags at all on "Best". For a complex one a couple passes and it plays fine.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

HSSDamian
Org Profile

Post by HSSDamian » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:45 pm

Assuming you're talking about the preview, this is due to insufficient RAM and may also be because you have a slow processor/poor GPU.
Sometimes when I'm doing editing on a project that has a total of over 30GBs worth of clips in it, I'll have a slight amount of lag.
Not much because I have an i7 920QM which is decent for video editing, 4GB Ram DDR3 1033MHz which is also great and a HD 5730 which isn't so great for video editing.

Natsuzje
Org Profile

Post by Natsuzje » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:24 pm

m8 im editing vids with MSI RX9250,Intel Celeron D 2.72Ghz and 2*256 RAM and vegas10 laggs only after i've put 4-5 effects into the vid (vegas9 laggs after 12-13 effects) try to close programs such as MSN, your internet browser, Xfire etc...

jamaro
Org Profile

Post by jamaro » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:09 am

I run Vegas on my slow laptop (2GB RAM) and had the same problem as you... until I converted the source files into Cineform format. Now I can have like 8 video tracks at on top of each other and edit them 'on the fly' without any preview lag because I convert them into Cineform beforehand. Cineform was originally used to convert AVCHD camcorder files so that it can be edited for Premiere Pro / Vegas Pro, hence making it the ideal choice for film editors.

People who have the fastest CPU can still experience preview lag, especially if they're editing mp4 formats. But converting this mp4 into Cineform format will eradicate this problem. Cineform is an intermediate format that works solely for video editing. Film professionals use it because of the workflow efficiency and 'no preview lag' issues when editing in full 1080p format.

Old workflow (with preview lag):
mp4 files --> Vegas Pro

Currently my workflow is as follows (no preview lag at all):
mp4/avi files --> multiAVCHD --> Cineform intermediate --> Vegas Pro
mkv files --> mkv2vob --> Cineform intermediate --> Vegas Pro

Note multiAVCHD/mkv2vob are only used to repackage the video into AVCHD containers for Cineform. This process only takes 1 or 2 mins as it is not re-encoding anything. You can choose to use another method like VirtualDub to repackage as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls5ncaXAW-0

This video describes a bit more about the Cineform workflow.

Kyotachi
Org Profile

Post by Kyotachi » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:11 am

HalOfBorg wrote:
a1ic3 wrote:If the problem is with the preview then I think the problem is related to his system. Most probably the processor is the culprit. The processing speed is very less and that is why he is having this issue.
I use 8 and have tried 10....

Yes indeed. A preview of a project on my netbook (32bit) can lag terribly, especially on "Best". Take same project on the new PC (Phenom II processor, 4 gig RAM 32bit) and it barely lags at all on "Best". For a complex one a couple passes and it plays fine.
not really...
first of a 32bit system can only use up to 3.5GB RAM
second of all...I can barely edit a 480p footage with my computer that has 3.5GB RAM 32bit

I guess it will all depends on the format you encode your footage to
Loseless format does not lag that much really..in fact ..it lags way less than I usually convert to an MP4 file
also WMV format doesn't lag but I'm not going too far into WMV format since its one of the worst Format to edit to...quality wise and just simply cheap

I would prefer Loseless but I can't afford big ass files on my HDD...they take up too much of my precious space
Better rig is my solution! :D :awesome:

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Mon May 09, 2011 4:01 pm

Two words: Proxy Editing (aka the Bait and Switch Technique)

I actually don't like the explanation above because it makes it seem like you need to use avisynth scripts.
But in a nutshell, you just need to make a faster second copy of your footage to edit with. Then switch the files when you are done.
Sometimes you can just use an SD proxy in place of your HD original, and that speeds things up enough...
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Kyotachi
Org Profile

Post by Kyotachi » Mon May 09, 2011 8:01 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:Two words: Proxy Editing (aka the Bait and Switch Technique)

I actually don't like the explanation above because it makes it seem like you need to use avisynth scripts.
But in a nutshell, you just need to make a faster second copy of your footage to edit with. Then switch the files when you are done.
Sometimes you can just use an SD proxy in place of your HD original, and that speeds things up enough...
yeah that's actually my new way of editing
replacing SD sources with HD sources to speed up my editing :ying:

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”