Round 2 - Results [Updated with Group G & H Results]

This is the main (and archive) forum for The Quickening, hosted by AnimeMusicVideos.Org
MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Re: Round 2 - Results [Updated with Group A & B Results]

Post by MimS » Wed May 30, 2012 2:45 am

/Me discovers a face of Shin he never expected x)

By the way, that's what I meant by 'considering everything', the way Shin expresses his op/judgement is fair : )

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed May 30, 2012 2:45 am

Shin-AMV wrote:Epic shiznizzle of text~

RAWdangers
Org Profile

Post by RAWdangers » Wed May 30, 2012 2:52 am

Shin-AMV wrote:I'm usually the last person to ever get involved in any kind of public drama, but a big pet peeve of mine is when people are being disparaging to fellow contestants. We're all here to make AMVs and have fun and just because you may have felt torn down by the results it doesn't help to publicly tear down Evil Environmentalist and his abilities the way you have. Tearing him down doesn't build you back up at all.
Hear, hear! I'll raise my glass to that! :beer:

Let it be known that all that must be said, has been said, and that this case is now closed :bzz:

RAWdangers
Org Profile

Post by RAWdangers » Wed May 30, 2012 2:55 am

Sorry for double post, but btws, i know that it's spelled wrong in that picture xD

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Wed May 30, 2012 2:57 am

Shin-AMV wrote:I'm usually the last person to ever get involved in any kind of public drama, but a big pet peeve of mine is when people are being disparaging to fellow contestants. We're all here to make AMVs and have fun and just because you may have felt torn down by the results it doesn't help to publicly tear down Evil Environmentalist and his abilities the way you have. Tearing him down doesn't build you back up at all.

Yeah masking and camera work take a lot of time and effort but its never a guaranteed means to victory. In terms of video quality, especially with the logos and the subs in the video, yeah your video comes out way ahead, but it also completely and unfairly takes out the consideration for other factors.

In terms of effects you seemed to put some effort with masking, but both videos had some questionable effects issues (Flashing sync/curtain crawl or piano cutter or whatever you wanna call that Compared to the TV sim sync/black+white with vingette/random masks) Implementing effects always has that risk vs. reward factor because even if you do put in a lot of effort it might not pan out in the end. If we take effect implementation on its own you do probably edge Evil Environmentalist on effort alone, but in terms of effectiveness and integration I think the more simplistic and less effects plays out in Evil Environmentalists favor. Sometimes less is more, and going effects heavy can and does backfire occassionally. This is really a subjective quality for judges so overall it probably all averages out to pretty even in the end.

I'm guessing, the thing that probably stood out the most and turned out much more in favor for this particular set of judges was the consistency/coherency of the videos. Both of you had pretty good sync, but I think EE did a much better job with scene selection and general flow, story or not. Evil Environmentalist was very focused with showing the character from Blue Exorcist in action. It didn't matter if there was an actual story being played out with the character or not, but a viewer would generally know whats going on from start to finish without having any disorientation issue.

Your video on the other hand, hops around from Shounen Action anime to slice of life smiley type scenes into to bloodbaths and murder and ending with a meta humor type joke about having to finish editing the video was all over the place and is disorienting. There was no clear theme or motif to really solidly connect it all together (punching and stabbing isn't usually a strong motif on its own). Yeah, sometimes it works without a well defined theme, but that generally requires much more time to polish the effects and transitions which is extremely hard to do in a time limit (going back to risk vs. reward) In my opinion, if you had focused on using 1 or 2 of the anime with a more defined theme the transition/masking effects would have been much more effective in carrying a viewer from scene to scene. (i.e. .hack and FMA would have worked well together with their blades/alchemy/magic type fighting styles, or any of them could have worked well on their own.)

Lastly, lipsync is always a dangerous thing to attempt, sometimes no matter what you do, people will automatically hate lipsync, just because its lipsync, even if its done well. I've had a rather fair amount of lipsync fail too. Regardless, I don't know if your lipsync was entirely effective in the video. Sometimes it seemed like it was a means to have an excuse to mask a character, stick him in the forefront of a different scene to really emphasize the fact that you just did something technical, which goes back to implementation and integration and overall scene selection, why is he/she there singing now?

So I don't think you're giving EE a fairshake at all. Yeah, watermarks are the bane of 'pro' editors and his video quality isn't the best, but if you take everything into consideration thats really his only major downside. If you ignore the watermark/sub issue, his video is very coherent, flows pretty smoothly, and has good scene selection actually making it pretty enjoyable. Dragging him through the mud like that just gets you muddy. Your round 1 video was much stronger because it wasn't overreaching like your round 2 vid tried to do where it seemed like it wanted to do a lot and have a lot and couldn't balance it all. Next time if you have issues take it up privately with the judges, MEP coordinators/members, Studio leaders, Contest Coordinators or whatever instead of airing it out openly on the forums or in journal posts.
Why do you insist one bringing this back up? I had already put it behind me. And I wasn't saying mine was better because mine had masking or lots of technical effetcs. Hell. I wasn't even mad that I lost the match. I would have been equally as mad had Lopez lost to E.E.'s vid and I had moved on. I was mad that the judges basically took my video, compared it to E.E.'s vid, and spit on it.

Regardless, I'm over it. I may not have cared personally, for E.E.'s vid/ Not just because of Bad Encode, Subs, Logo's and watermarks, but also because the flow and pace were horrible. And that's my personal opinion. His video was too slow for what the song was. That was my beef. While I focused on pace and flow in my video.

Those were the main points I was mad. End of the day, people will take the judges side no matter what they decide: "Well, they said E.E. won. So I guess he deserved it, even though me and the majority of others feel T.C.'s vid was better. Better luck next time T.C."

That's how I felt. When multiple times these very judges edit videos the same way I did or outspeak about how they prefer good quality and all this other drib and then basically recant it with the judging of mine and E.E.'s video. Basically.........Hipocrits. Basically, that's how I felt about E.E.'s video and the judges thoughts/scores/results. Perhaps I worded it wrong when I was raging, but this is the best I can put it. That is my criticism for E.E.'s video. Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean others wouldn't. I kinda forgot that. So I apologize.

Anyway, as stated, quit bringing up what i've already squashed.

I really do wish Lopez and E.E. the best in the Group A Finals. And I've already apologized for all the hurtful things I've said. I meant it. Whether or not you choose to believe it is totally up to you.

I look forward to watching the rest of the competition. I hope to see some good vids people. Do it to it. :awesome:
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:07 am

Ok, he apologized and learned his lesson. Everyone, stop bringing up the same topic before we close this competition. >.>

Animated
Drama Text Cop
Org Profile

Post by Animated » Wed May 30, 2012 3:12 am

Well, I totally understand Twilight Chrono. And yes, I also believe that he should have won. If something like that happened to me, who knows if I would have reacted worse... Wish you find the courage to start again pal.

...And that's why we need the judges' comments to be public. Without them everyone will just... go berserk (oh, the judges love Editor X more than Editor Y, I'm sure of that, hurr durr)

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed May 30, 2012 3:43 am

TwilightChrono wrote:(...)but also because the flow and pace were horrible(...)
Opinions~ I liked it a lot more~ ^^
So much that I was able to overlook jarring logo and subs, in fact~

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Wed May 30, 2012 4:08 am

TwilightChrono wrote: Why do you insist one bringing this back up? I had already put it behind me. And I wasn't saying mine was better because mine had masking or lots of technical effetcs. Hell. I wasn't even mad that I lost the match. I would have been equally as mad had Lopez lost to E.E.'s vid and I had moved on. I was mad that the judges basically took my video, compared it to E.E.'s vid, and spit on it.

Regardless, I'm over it. I may not have cared personally, for E.E.'s vid/ Not just because of Bad Encode, Subs, Logo's and watermarks, but also because the flow and pace were horrible. And that's my personal opinion. His video was too slow for what the song was. That was my beef. While I focused on pace and flow in my video.

Those were the main points I was mad. End of the day, people will take the judges side no matter what they decide: "Well, they said E.E. won. So I guess he deserved it, even though me and the majority of others feel T.C.'s vid was better. Better luck next time T.C."

That's how I felt. When multiple times these very judges edit videos the same way I did or outspeak about how they prefer good quality and all this other drib and then basically recant it with the judging of mine and E.E.'s video. Basically.........Hipocrits. Basically, that's how I felt about E.E.'s video and the judges thoughts/scores/results. Perhaps I worded it wrong when I was raging, but this is the best I can put it. That is my criticism for E.E.'s video. Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean others wouldn't. I kinda forgot that. So I apologize.

I really do wish Lopez and E.E. the best in the Group A Finals. And I've already apologized for all the hurtful things I've said. I meant it. Whether or not you choose to believe it is totally up to you.

I look forward to watching the rest of the competition. I hope to see some good vids people. Do it to it. :awesome:
Fair enough. I did start the post and take a lot of time trying to write a thoughtful critique and analysis of the situation in general before the thread had simmered down though and felt it would have been wasteful to just delete it all. You can disagree with it, ignore it, or pick and choose what you want out of it though. I really just wanted to get my two cents in about tact and treating other contestants in competitive settings and your posts just happened to push me over the edge for something that I've been silent on for probably too long and felt a strong need to try to express it for once. So I'm mostly hoping that people just try to be more civil in their disagreements over whatever results there are or may come. If all the hatchets are buried thats great, we can all put our monocles back on and be sirs again. Good luck to both Lopez and Evil Environmentalist in the next round.

Group B is getting overshadowed a bit, and I want to give a real sincere shoutout to Centurione and Kairih for advancing to the next round. They've not only been fairly consistent in the past rounds with the enjoyment factor, but there is noticeable growth in their skills and abilities as well and thats always an exciting thing to see and anticipate what they'll try next. :up:

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Wed May 30, 2012 4:46 am

Shin-AMV wrote:
TwilightChrono wrote: Why do you insist one bringing this back up? I had already put it behind me. And I wasn't saying mine was better because mine had masking or lots of technical effetcs. Hell. I wasn't even mad that I lost the match. I would have been equally as mad had Lopez lost to E.E.'s vid and I had moved on. I was mad that the judges basically took my video, compared it to E.E.'s vid, and spit on it.

Fair enough. I did start the post and take a lot of time trying to write a thoughtful critique and analysis of the situation in general before the thread had simmered down though and felt it would have been wasteful to just delete it all. You can disagree with it, ignore it, or pick and choose what you want out of it though. I really just wanted to get my two cents in about tact and treating other contestants in competitive settings and your posts just happened to push me over the edge for something that I've been silent on for probably too long and felt a strong need to try to express it for once. So I'm mostly hoping that people just try to be more civil in their disagreements over whatever results there are or may come. If all the hatchets are buried thats great, we can all put our monocles back on and be sirs again. Good luck to both Lopez and Evil Environmentalist in the next round.

Group B is getting overshadowed a bit, and I want to give a real sincere shoutout to Centurione and Kairih for advancing to the next round. They've not only been fairly consistent in the past rounds with the enjoyment factor, but there is noticeable growth in their skills and abilities as well and thats always an exciting thing to see and anticipate what they'll try next. :up:
*hugs* Like I said. I have no hard feelings, and the last thing I want is people looking at my screen name and be like: "Oh great......It's That AssHole Again..." That's not how I wanna associate myself and thats not how I want peopel to see me. Anyone around here knows I'm not one to rage very often and knows I am a very outspoken person. (I'm not good at keeping my feelings to myself) And to clear the air with one final statement. I have nothing against E.E. I never once called him a bad editor. Everythign I said if ou go back and look was in regards to the video. Not him.

Anywho, I also give a big hoop'n'holla to group B.
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012

Return to “The Quickening 2012”