Using DVD Decrypter

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
-Reda-
Org Profile

Using DVD Decrypter

Post by -Reda- » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:52 pm

I've been wondering this for a while now. Certain times, I can rip DVDs at a nice 4.0x on DVD decrypter, and then some weeks it'll be either a 1.1 or a .8 AND slow down my entire computer in the process. Like a lot....but no noticable slow down on certain weeks or months or whatever. So what Im trying to say is some periods of time I can rip DVDs wonderfully and sometimes its horrible as anything.
Any idea on what could be effecting the speeds? I also don't think it should slow my computer down this much either....
I'm using a MacBook Pro with Bootcamp. OS is Windows XP w/ SP2. I have my ASPI drivers installed as well.

Any thoughts on this would be great!
*sips tea*

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:31 am

One possibility is that those DVDs that rip slowly are dirty, scratched, badly authored, badly manufactured, or somehow messed up in a way that your drive cannot reliably read them at faster than normal playback speed (1x).

Windows XP will usually throttle down your DVD drive when it detects large amounts of errors when reading discs and go into PIO mode instead of DMA mode for transfers. PIO mode is a whole lot slower than DMA mode.

The other major possibility is that your DVD drive has a "riplock" feature that limits the speed of the drive when ripping DVD video discs.

Since your computer slows down also, I suspect it's the former case and your system is bogging down due to all the re-reading of the disc and massive error correction going on.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

-Reda-
Org Profile

Post by -Reda- » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:31 pm

Still having issues with this. That doesn't seem to be the case because DVDs I ripped a few months ago at 4X the speed are now ripping at 1x. Also, DVD playback altogether is much slower (running skippy, jolty sound, etc) But a while ago, it wouldn't. Also, when I switch to Mac OS and play a DVD, it plays perfectly with no slow down whatsoever. So I don't think its the drive and I don't think its the disks. Any other suggestions?
*sips tea*

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:46 pm

-Reda- wrote:Also, DVD playback altogether is much slower (running skippy, jolty sound, etc) ... So I don't think its the drive ...
Your reasoning puzzles me.

Either your drive itself is dying or it somehow got switched into a different mode. If it's the later, I'm pretty sure there were some other threads a while back that were about this.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

-Reda-
Org Profile

Post by -Reda- » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:47 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
-Reda- wrote:Also, DVD playback altogether is much slower (running skippy, jolty sound, etc) ... So I don't think its the drive ...
Your reasoning puzzles me.

Either your drive itself is dying or it somehow got switched into a different mode. If it's the later, I'm pretty sure there were some other threads a while back that were about this.
I dont think its the drive because if I start up Mac OS instead of Windows on this the drive plays back DVDs fine (on Mac OS) Same software as well (VLC Media Player [cept for Mac])
*sips tea*

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:56 am

You failed to mention that you're dual booting on the same computer. To the average reader it looked like you were talking about 2 separate DVD drives.

It's most likely a driver/software thing on the Windows side then. The hardware isn't fucked up, just Windows' use of it. AFAIK that would mean the mode issue i pointed out is still a valid possibility.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

-Reda-
Org Profile

Post by -Reda- » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:16 am

Looking into that now. Under my Device Manager I also seem to have TWO primary IDE Channels and TWO Secondary IDE channels whereas I only have one DVD drive on this laptop. Also, websites Ive been checking have only had one of each. So under device management I have a list that looks like.

Primary IDE Channel
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

.....is this wrong?
*sips tea*

-Reda-
Org Profile

Post by -Reda- » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:27 am

Bah, nevermind, I just got it fixed. Had to switch the mode off of PIO or something like that. Got it, seems to be working great now. Thanks for your help everyone!

For future reference, is there anyway I can configure it so it WONT switch to PIO sometime down the road?
*sips tea*

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”