Pinnacle Capture Card Preferences

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
Kumatora
Org Profile

Pinnacle Capture Card Preferences

Post by Kumatora » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:15 pm

I recently got the Pinnacle Studio Movie Box Ultimate in order to capture game footage(cutscenes and gameplay) on the Wii. I would like to know from anyone using this already to help me with the individual capturing preferences. I want to get this and a few other minor things taken care of before February.

Mainly these:
Capture Format: DV, M-PEG 1/2, or AVI w/ DIVX (It's the only codec it'll let me use while capturing. I know this can be fixed in VDub.)

Resolution: 720x480 or 360x240

Thanks in advance.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:59 pm

.. DV and Mpeg-2 are your best options for capturing.

DV1 & DV2 are the Digital Camera Codec's of choice ( however they are Lossy! )

Mpeg2 is quite nice to have for Capturing because "it" can be taken Directly to a DVD.
.. .. while anything Mpeg is basically Lossy, it IS the Mpeg-2 format that our Guides like the best. ( DVD's ) ( Ripping DVD's ) ( Converting DVD to H264 ) blah blah blah.

Mpeg-1 ... no! 320 X 240
AVI .. .. .. no!! 640 X 480
VirtualDub's Capturing ... how old is your Capture Card; ISA Slot ???

720 X 576 .. yes!
704 X 396 .. you bet :twisted:

Kumatora
Org Profile

Post by Kumatora » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:19 am

If by capture card, you mean the Pinnacle thing, then it's like two weeks old. I have no idea as to what the ISA slot is.

I should've mentioned this but does it make much of a difference if I'm getting the footage from a TV at a live rate?

704 X 396?

I assume you do this in VDub, right. I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:03 pm

naah .. its not a stupid question, I'm confused why your Capture device didn't come with its own Capturing Software ( something doesn't seem right! )

.. Basic Capturing Software would have the Drivers and "the program to capture things" installed with your purchase. [[ this is a standard in selling Cards after 1992 ]] and it is possible that someone changed the rules of buying Cards/Hardware by making you "get-on-line" to select the proper drivers and software via a down-load instead of coming with a "Set-Up Disc" !!
.. Usually, the Setup.exe -or- Install.exe will have the Factory-Settings already loaded on the Finished-Install of the Program itself.

.. an "ISA Slot" was the standard before 1996 .. it was a Poke-&-Probe question considering what you had forgot to say about your Computer ^_^ sorry.

.. 720 X 576, 640 X 480, 320 X 240 are Standard TV settings. ( DV1 DV2 AVI )
.. 720 X 480, 352 X 240 are Standard Mpeg settings. ( Mpeg 1/2 )
.. 1280 X 720 is a "720i" standard for SD TV Capturing. ( 1 of 3 ATSC settings )

.. as to which setting your WiiII is set, those are in your WiiII selctions themselves.
.. I would go back to the place that sold you that Capture Box and have "them" show you how to use the software that came with that Capture-Box because VirtualDub will not access your Capture Card without the Proper Drives already having been installed.

Kumatora
Org Profile

Post by Kumatora » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:10 pm

Actually, it came with its own capturing software and I installed all three discs I had to install. The fourth disc was for PAL regions.However, I'm considering Virtual Dub might be a better thing to use to capture AVI with the device based off of no real logic.

This is what I got. Here.

As for how old my computer is, it's a Dell Windows XP from 2004 with USB 2.0. I apologize for the time and effort you put into that post.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:24 am

.. ^^ not at all ^^ ..

The Chat Rooms were:
Corel/Ulead
Inland
Kworld
Pinnacle
PowerDirector
Magix
MGI
and Turtle Beach.

.. the overall message they explained was "NOT to use USB" for capturing Video T_T
which I thought was rather rude ( considering how many LapTops there are today! )

.. E-PCI Capture was rated #1
.. APG Capture was rated #2 ( E-PCI replaced it a few years ago. )
.. 1394 DV Capture was rated #3
.. PCI Capture was rated #4 ( as long as it wasn't ATI or NForce )
and USB wasn't rated as a Capture Device!??? which made me furious; I've used
the WinTV-HVR950 for over a year now and I like its picture on ATSC recordings!
then .. then they explained "why" not to use Processor-Based-USB-stuff ..
" it has not Codec of its own " .. .. X_X their right! your processor IS the Codec!

Kumatora
Org Profile

Post by Kumatora » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:46 am

What was that about? All I got out of that was that capturing through USB isn't a good idea. Good or not, I'm using the Pinnacle hardware to capture.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:40 pm

Kumatora wrote:What was that about? All I got out of that was that capturing through USB isn't a good idea. Good or not, I'm using the Pinnacle hardware to capture.
Is it a BlueBOX? I own one.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Kumatora
Org Profile

Post by Kumatora » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:11 pm

Kionon wrote:
Kumatora wrote:What was that about? All I got out of that was that capturing through USB isn't a good idea. Good or not, I'm using the Pinnacle hardware to capture.
Is it a BlueBOX? I own one.
No, this is what I've got. Here.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:21 am

Hrm. I think it should probably function like the blueBOX. Let me do some more research and get back to you...
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”