vegas4>

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:30 pm

yeah most people actualy do buy software (australia has a very low piracy rate) and theirs a thing where students get things cheaper anyway.

oh and, thier may not be a reason to fix whats not broken, but their are reasons, advantages, to improve and beter it. why do good programs get updated ? so they can be beter . why would someone consider moving from premier 6 - 6.5 to vegas ? so they have something thats beter

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:36 pm

Zarxrax wrote:That, and the constant crashing.

What the hell is everyone doing? I've had Premiere crash on me maybe three times in a single project. And that was over the course of a month. I had auto-save enabled for every three minutes so it wasn't a problem.

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:18 am

i was remaking an amv in premier one early morning, and i was lucky to last 15 minutes before the damn thing crashed. by 6am i was too tired and couldnt be fucked anymore

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:06 am

Corran Productions wrote:... I've had Premiere crash on me maybe three times in a single project. And that was over the course of a month. I had auto-save enabled for every three minutes so it wasn't a problem.
For comparison, I used Vegas 4 on half a dozen projects over the space of a year, and I don't recall a single time that it crashed. Except once when I was stupid and turned off the camcorder while the capture routine was running. :roll:

Unfortunately, Vegas is crashing on me now, after I loaded a set of 3rd party plugins. But the crashes are not random and only happen when I'm setting up one of these new plugins. Looks like a bug, but not in Vegas.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:32 am

Corran Productions wrote:

What the hell is everyone doing? I've had Premiere crash on me maybe three times in a single project. And that was over the course of a month. I had auto-save enabled for every three minutes so it wasn't a problem.
About 3-4 times a month sounds about right. Compared to EVERY OTHER PROGRAM THAT I RUN, thats a 300-400% greater crashing percentage. What do I do on it? Edit AVS files... I remember the Project Trimer feature used to give me a lot of trouble with crashing as well, such that I ended up stopping using it completely. In addition to the crashes, there were bugs. There was one particularly nasty bug regrarding frame hold that I encountered in both 6.0 and 6.5, and I could reproduce it anytime I wanted (though I usually reproduced it by accident)... I never came across anyone else with the bug though.

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:15 am

I think I've narrowed down my Premiere crashing problems to something involving the MJPEG bait-and-switch files I use when editing before swapping back in the AVS files. If I'm only working with HuffYUV files or the actual AVS files, it behaves just fine.

Having paid for the Adobe Digital Video Suite a year ago (true, the less expensive academic version), I'll admit that something of my resistance to trying out and using Vegas is that I don't want to buy another program to do the same thing one I already have does- and I rarely have enough of a break in working on things to take the time to get up to speed on a new program. That, and if I'm going to learn a new NLE program, I'd rather it be something that has more scalable application- like FCP or Avid. Though I will admit the native 23.976 would be nice (I wish Adobe would get rid of whatever bug up their ass is keeping them from supporting this...), and the ability to output to AC3 (assuming it's fully compliant) would be useful for making DVDs.
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:57 pm

Ashyukun wrote:...and the ability to output to AC3 (assuming it's fully compliant) would be useful for making DVDs.
Sony has a package called Vegas+DVD that adds DVD Architect and an AC3 encoder. At double the price of Vegas alone.

And I have to agree that the cost of these things is a major hurdle in switching to a new NLE.

If anyone is seriously considering this, take a look at their current promotion. For $900, it includes Vegas 4, DVD Architect, the AC3 encoder, a Sony 4X DVD writer, instruction book, and two discs of royalty-free background clips.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:02 pm

Why pay for DVD software when you can already do it with free stuff :|

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:51 pm

Corran Productions wrote:

The only time I've had Premiere crash on me consistently was when I was using a plugin native to Premiere 5.0 (when I was using 6.0). And it only crashed if I did certain things that I could avoid. And only on the video that used that plugin. So it was no big deal.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:59 pm

Zarxrax wrote:Why pay for DVD software when you can already do it with free stuff :|
Like...?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”