What's wrong with noobies? [Food for thought]

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:19 pm

I think something needed to be said, I just wish there were a way to cut down on the needless *unhumorous* *non-joking* flames that are thrown at the new members. Aside from warning them as soon as they join, or maybe discouraging the most flagrant of the flamers, I don't see anything happening. I guess it's good that some newbies don't mind or care if they're flamed. Good for them! For the ones who do, I sympathize, and other compassionate people would as well.

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:06 pm

New members, new blood, new videos, and potential talent, and new attitudes that may need to be curtailed.

I have no problem with newer members, infact, I can say that many of them will become great amv creators as well as enjoyable post-people. :D

Like Phade said, be courteous.

/end
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

Timelessblurr
Org Profile

Post by Timelessblurr » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:23 pm

I think I some how dogue the newbie flaming when I join since I slipt in during a wave of new member and the fact that I dont post here to offen. Hell 1/2 the reason I dont post here and really read the forums is 60% of the post are just completely pointless Flames and then 80% of the stuff that left is either spam or pointless utter crap. example the What animechar would you like to have sex with thread I made. Yeah then I was making a thread to get post but the thing was an active thread for 5 months until it got lock. Now the other forum I am on that place gets a lot of stupid quetoin that we have only answered about 30 times and they are all either in plan sit on the main page or anserin in a few stickies. You put up with them or dircted them to the right place. But more to the point I been coming here and I skim though the forums and skim a few of the threads. I genral stop reading a thread when it turns to pointless flaming which is sadly to say most of them.
If humans don't want me....
Then why'd they create me?
Armitage from OVAs

Cyanna
Super Rad!
Org Profile

Post by Cyanna » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:37 pm

Hmm....I was a bit nervous posting here at first. I like japanese animation as a form of entertainment and I enjoy watching the AMVs, mostly the parodys and comedic ones. You don't need to really be familiar with something to get a good laugh from it. But because my knowledge of this form of entertainment is rather small I was afraid that I'd come off an an idiot and get flamed or ignored. But I posted an informative "Hi! I'm new!" topic in which I stated my interests, what few animes I have seen and a few that I want to see someday. I was pleasently surprised to see that my welcome was actually very nice despite that I'm not as big a fan as the majority of the forum-goers. :)

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:42 pm

I'll just like to add that making a "Hey, I'm new" thread in "All About Me" is a good way of introducing yourself rather then posting it in other places, with or combined with othe issues into another thread at another forum.

it's easier for some of us members to acknowledge our welcome when we don't have to go off topic in a thread that may contain more serious issues.

/end
Orgasm - It's a Science

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:55 pm

People are jackasses on the internet because they don't have to worry about being pounded in the face for saying something stupid like they would in person. It's a sneaking suspicion of mine that it's mostly the people who would (or do) get pounded in real life that have to go on the 'net and be so big and tough.

It really has little to do with 'veteran' posters :? In fact most people that have been around a year or more don't do all that much posting. You aren't proving much by trying to take the pressure off one group and putting it on another :roll:

Besides it's a very small number of posters that actually flame around here. Mostly it's a sarcastic or true statement being made and the person recieving it takes it way too personally.

And if people made it a habit to read the rules, guides, and examine the main members menu before posting; a great amount of 'newbie' questions would never even be asked. Is it so much to ask for people to use a little common sense?

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:13 pm

It isn't much at all to ask for common sense from newbies, so long as they're asked before they're given a chance to face the consequences of not using that common sense. There is no 'rules' for forum posting ettiquette. It doesn't exist. There is no prerequisite reading telling a newbie how to behave. It doesn't exist.

On the otherhand is it too much to ask that flamers use a little courtesy? Newbies, or at least *I* have been asked to use courtesy, but what about them? If I'm being uncourteous in this thread, then what about the people out there having general thug-fests? I'm not turning the blame from newbies to the flamers, I'm saying newbies are screamed at for their bad manners, their ignorance, and non-newbies aren't screamed at for anything unless they're fighting amongst themselves and someone who's been here for a long time decides to mention the argument to the moderators. That's all, I'm just pointing out the different 'acceptable' levels of behavior for newbies and non-newbies.

As for posting in the right thread, or the idea of having off-topic discussions in the middle of a serious discussion - look around, that's everywhere. And, yes, the happy newbies are partaking in it, but usually the drift away from the topic is started by someone who is not new, someone who is not 'ignorant' or 'discourteous.' I'm not pointing fingers at non-newbies and yelling at them for flaming because I want to hide the newbies who are flaming - the newbies aren't flaming. I'm not turning the blame because the only newbies to blame for cussing people out are the ones who were first attacked and then stood against that attack. All I'm asking is for some fair treatment. We are expected to act according to 'rules' of proper behavior, but there don't seem to be any rules governing the actions or posts of the non-newbies. Why? It doesn't matter why, look at their posts, look at any thread longer than 3 pages and unless it's a sticky post or one in a moderator section, halfway through it's going to turn either into nonsense or a private flaming between two or more members. That's fine, let them argue amongst themselves. I just don't think they should turn their boredom, frustrations, distaste, on newbies or to think that because a person is new that makes them free game for flaming.

I'm trying to be courteous, and to stay on-topic (something I have rarely seen kept going on a single thread, maybe I can start a trend) but I'm not going to take back my belief that flaming should be curtailed. I'll use sense, other newbies - once they figure out the forum - will learn what it is to use common sense (according to this forum's definitions). But I think common sense dictates you say something of importance and meaning besides 'you fucknuts' 'idiot of the forum' and whatever other slandering uncalled for flames get thrown about. Tell me those are done in a playful manner. Some, maybe, but not the ones I'm complaining about.

I don't know how to argue that I'm not trying to take pressure off newbies, but I'm not. They *should* follow proper forum rules, they should know what to do and what not to do. But in order for them to know someone is going to have to tell them, or a thread is going to have to be found so they can read it for themselves. No one comes into a new place knowing the rules. Before they can follow those rules they have to be pointed to them and understand them. There is plenty of deserved pressure on the newbies. But there is also undeserved pressure.

And there is *no* pressure on the non-newbies. I don't want to turn the tables, I want to even them out, at least a little. If you know the rules you'd think you'd be able to show the newbies how to act by being courteous yourself. But flamers are not courteous. And yes, there aren't that many flamers, there are about five or six constant ones, though, and when they jump on newbie posts to attack them - knowing they can - then it becomes a problem. It's a problem only to the newbies, though, and only those who it bothers. So what do I know. I just state what I see.

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:17 pm

Arigatomyna wrote: There is no 'rules' for forum posting ettiquette. It doesn't exist.
well, there are forum rules here...since we are a guest in the house of Phade :P

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:18 pm

Okay, #1. You have a certain amount of time here. You can spend that time acclimating yourself to the board and getting to know people, or you can whine about how mean everybody is and how everybody sucks and beats you up and steals your lunch money and wah wah wah.

#2. Where is this happening? Apart from some joking around I haven't seen anyone SERIOUSLY harassing newbies. My impression is that you're taking this all too damn seriously.

That said, enjoy your stay. OR ELSE. ;)

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:25 pm

Phade wrote:Thou shalt be courteous at all times including visiting conventions, forum posts, opinions given, and opinions received. Respect other's judgment though you may disagree with it.
It's in the "Announcement" forum.

What some new member's don't realize is, Explore the new territory first, before you settle down.

That way, you know the lay of the land, the governing bodies, and where the resources you need are located.

I'll like to suggest that all new members to read or reread "Ender's Gamer" and "Ender's Shadow," simply because both provide some things kids should have already realized.

sure, i'm a fan of Mr. Card. :D

/end
Orgasm - It's a Science

Return to “Site Announcements”